Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Starfield

Video game themed message board
Post Reply
User avatar
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 11612
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Starfield

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: ↑Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:23 pm
Abe Froman wrote: ↑Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:52 pm Imo, if you are buying, get a series X. Or just wait until they release an X Pro edition, but that could be a while. I have both the series S and the series X. I honestly have played the S once since I got my X. It just does shit better. Unless you only have a 1080p tv and you don't plan on playing very many Xbox games. Then by all means, get the Series S.
I hope Xbox and Sony don't do a mid generation refresh like last generation. These consoles really don't need it. They were way more powerful out of the gate than the PS4 and Xbox One. I feel like they've barely moved on from last gen and are developing exclusively for these consoles. Based on rumors Xbox probably isn't doing a revised console, but signs point to yes for Sony.
Agreed. Rumor has it Sony is already close with a PS5 pro tho...
I made this!
User avatar
jffl_commish
Posts: 28434
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am

Re: Starfield

Post by jffl_commish »

Thanks fellas. I'll keep my eye out. I love Fallout and Elder Scrolls, so this definitely right up my alley to play. Indiana Jones might be interesting too.
Let's get Tropical
User avatar
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 11612
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Starfield

Post by Abe Froman »

About a month away!!!!
I made this!
User avatar
jffl_commish
Posts: 28434
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am

Re: Starfield

Post by jffl_commish »

Woohoo! Any chance of an XBOX going on sale for me before then? lol
Let's get Tropical
User avatar
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 11612
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Starfield

Post by Abe Froman »

jffl_commish wrote: ↑Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:44 am Woohoo! Any chance of an XBOX going on sale for me before then? lol
Only if you luck out and find someone desperate for money.
I made this!
User avatar
YBBR
Posts: 39017
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: Starfield

Post by YBBR »

Review codes for this went out like last Wednesday or Thursday. People have Starfield in their possession. Hopefully it pans out.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
User avatar
Tommy_Hawk
Posts: 16212
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Starfield

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

YBBR wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:59 pm Review codes for this went out like last Wednesday or Thursday. People have Starfield in their possession. Hopefully it pans out.
It should be ready to play one year after launch. Gotta get the people to pay premium prices to beta test for them for awhile so they know where all the bugs are.
Trees Make Great Neighbors

I wanna live in a land of lakes
Where the great waves break
And the night runs right into the day
User avatar
jffl_commish
Posts: 28434
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am

Re: Starfield

Post by jffl_commish »

Tommy! We are playing this together my dude.
Let's get Tropical
User avatar
Tommy_Hawk
Posts: 16212
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Starfield

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

jffl_commish wrote: ↑Wed Aug 23, 2023 8:49 pm Tommy! We are playing this together my dude.
You get the Microsoft rig yet? I gotta upgrade. Still on the fence between next-gen console or PC. Can PC and XBox guys play together?
Trees Make Great Neighbors

I wanna live in a land of lakes
Where the great waves break
And the night runs right into the day
User avatar
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 51017
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:05 am
Location: West Metro

Re: Starfield

Post by Mandatory »

A week from today! I had no idea it was so soon.
Ours is a cultural ghetto.
User avatar
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 11612
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Starfield

Post by Abe Froman »

Mandatory wrote: ↑Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:11 am A week from today! I had no idea it was so soon.
I feel like nothing in my life will get done after this game comes out.
I made this!
User avatar
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 11612
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Starfield

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:59 pm Review codes for this went out like last Wednesday or Thursday. People have Starfield in their possession. Hopefully it pans out.
If it doesn't heads will role. Microsoft and Bethesda have way too much riding on it's success.
I made this!
User avatar
Tommy_Hawk
Posts: 16212
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Starfield

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

Abe Froman wrote: ↑Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:50 am
YBBR wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:59 pm Review codes for this went out like last Wednesday or Thursday. People have Starfield in their possession. Hopefully it pans out.
If it doesn't heads will role. Microsoft and Bethesda have way too much riding on it's success.
What are you getting it on? XBox, PC, or something portable for work like a Steamdeck?
Trees Make Great Neighbors

I wanna live in a land of lakes
Where the great waves break
And the night runs right into the day
User avatar
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 11612
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Starfield

Post by Abe Froman »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: ↑Sat Aug 26, 2023 12:28 pm
Abe Froman wrote: ↑Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:50 am
YBBR wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:59 pm Review codes for this went out like last Wednesday or Thursday. People have Starfield in their possession. Hopefully it pans out.
If it doesn't heads will role. Microsoft and Bethesda have way too much riding on it's success.
What are you getting it on? XBox, PC, or something portable for work like a Steamdeck?
Technically all three since I believe it will be on gamepass.

I'm buying it for Xbox though.
I made this!
User avatar
YBBR
Posts: 39017
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: Starfield

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: ↑Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:50 am
YBBR wrote: ↑Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:59 pm Review codes for this went out like last Wednesday or Thursday. People have Starfield in their possession. Hopefully it pans out.
If it doesn't heads will role. Microsoft and Bethesda have way too much riding on it's success.
i definitely get the feeling Microsoft are pretty damn confident about this one. They've got this and Forza as the big first party exclusives this year. Forza is a big game, but more niche in terms of wide appeal. Starfield is going to move consoles, going to move gamepass subscriptions, this is their huge hitter.

They're looking for this to kind of kick off the slate of games they have lined up for at least the next few years to really deliver and change the fortunes of Xbox. Lots of stuff being lined up for 2024 and 2025 and beyond.

There's a couple smaller titles that have really hit recently for them in Pentiment and Hi-Fi Rush, but Redfall was supposed to be kind of close to that Forza tier. That damn game fell so flat.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
User avatar
YBBR
Posts: 39017
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: Starfield

Post by YBBR »

I'll be playing on Series X when they drop this. Have to say this is the best Bethesda combat I've ever seen look by a factor of about 100. That's actually the most interesting thing to me about this. If the rest is there, dare I say this could maybe top both Tears of the Kingdom, and Baldur's Gate III for GoTY. That's an extremely tall order though. This year has been absolutely rife with great games.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
User avatar
jffl_commish
Posts: 28434
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am

Re: Starfield

Post by jffl_commish »

I can't wait! Other than the whole having to go buy an Xbox part.
Let's get Tropical
User avatar
Mandatory
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 51017
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:05 am
Location: West Metro

Re: Starfield

Post by Mandatory »

It's preordered and downloaded. And as luck would have it I have a 6 day labor day weekend.
Ours is a cultural ghetto.
User avatar
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 11612
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Starfield

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: ↑Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:23 pm
Abe Froman wrote: ↑Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:52 pm Imo, if you are buying, get a series X. Or just wait until they release an X Pro edition, but that could be a while. I have both the series S and the series X. I honestly have played the S once since I got my X. It just does shit better. Unless you only have a 1080p tv and you don't plan on playing very many Xbox games. Then by all means, get the Series S.
I hope Xbox and Sony don't do a mid generation refresh like last generation. These consoles really don't need it. They were way more powerful out of the gate than the PS4 and Xbox One. I feel like they've barely moved on from last gen and are developing exclusively for these consoles. Based on rumors Xbox probably isn't doing a revised console, but signs point to yes for Sony.
Same, but it sounds more and more like the PS5 Pro is real.
I made this!
User avatar
YBBR
Posts: 39017
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: Starfield

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: ↑Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:02 am
YBBR wrote: ↑Mon Jul 17, 2023 7:23 pm
Abe Froman wrote: ↑Mon Jul 17, 2023 6:52 pm Imo, if you are buying, get a series X. Or just wait until they release an X Pro edition, but that could be a while. I have both the series S and the series X. I honestly have played the S once since I got my X. It just does shit better. Unless you only have a 1080p tv and you don't plan on playing very many Xbox games. Then by all means, get the Series S.
I hope Xbox and Sony don't do a mid generation refresh like last generation. These consoles really don't need it. They were way more powerful out of the gate than the PS4 and Xbox One. I feel like they've barely moved on from last gen and are developing exclusively for these consoles. Based on rumors Xbox probably isn't doing a revised console, but signs point to yes for Sony.
Same, but it sounds more and more like the PS5 Pro is real.
Lots of people in the know think it's going to come next year. They're going to announce some kind of PS5 slim revision in time for holiday this year and by next year around Holiday time they're going to trot out the PS5 Pro for sale. Not to mention they dropped the price for the portable streaming thing they have. $199 still too much for what that thing is.

I have to say I really dislike Sony's thinly veiled strategy to charge people as much as they can basically because they can get away with it. People will buy it and they know it. So they're like, fuck it we'll put something you don't need out if you're going to pay us for it.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
User avatar
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 11612
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Starfield

Post by Abe Froman »

Sounds like it's big but has a lot of empty spaces. Kinda to be expected with a game this size and one that is bound to be improved with mods and dlc. One review I just watched is giving it a 7 out of 10 which is lower than I had hoped, but at least it's not buggy as hell.
I made this!
User avatar
YBBR
Posts: 39017
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: Starfield

Post by YBBR »

Abe Froman wrote: ↑Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:40 pm Sounds like it's big but has a lot of empty spaces. Kinda to be expected with a game this size and one that is bound to be improved with mods and dlc. One review I just watched is giving it a 7 out of 10 which is lower than I had hoped, but at least it's not buggy as hell.
88 on metacritic, which is very good. That's an average on a 100 point scale of all the review scores submitted so far. That's 50 different scores on PC from various outlets. Maybe not up to that ToTK, Baldur's Gate III, Street Fighter 6 level. Just a shade under that kind of where Armored Core 6 just landed.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
User avatar
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 11612
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Starfield

Post by Abe Froman »

YBBR wrote: ↑Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:12 pm
Abe Froman wrote: ↑Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:40 pm Sounds like it's big but has a lot of empty spaces. Kinda to be expected with a game this size and one that is bound to be improved with mods and dlc. One review I just watched is giving it a 7 out of 10 which is lower than I had hoped, but at least it's not buggy as hell.
88 on metacritic, which is very good. That's an average on a 100 point scale of all the review scores submitted so far. That's 50 different scores on PC from various outlets. Maybe not up to that ToTK, Baldur's Gate III, Street Fighter 6 level. Just a shade under that kind of where Armored Core 6 just landed.
I'm excited as hell for it! I love building shit, and I always wanted to build my own ship. Like dating back to Skies of Arcadia (which btw desparately needs a sequel) on the Dreamcast, I've loved the idea of making a ship. Felt like mass effect could have done it so much better. I can't wait!
I made this!
User avatar
Tommy_Hawk
Posts: 16212
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:14 pm

Re: Starfield

Post by Tommy_Hawk »

YBBR wrote: ↑Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:12 pm
Abe Froman wrote: ↑Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:40 pm Sounds like it's big but has a lot of empty spaces. Kinda to be expected with a game this size and one that is bound to be improved with mods and dlc. One review I just watched is giving it a 7 out of 10 which is lower than I had hoped, but at least it's not buggy as hell.
88 on metacritic, which is very good. That's an average on a 100 point scale of all the review scores submitted so far. That's 50 different scores on PC from various outlets. Maybe not up to that ToTK, Baldur's Gate III, Street Fighter 6 level. Just a shade under that kind of where Armored Core 6 just landed.
So what does that equate to for the layman in the real world? Are any of these RDR2 level games or just below? What are we dealing with here?
Trees Make Great Neighbors

I wanna live in a land of lakes
Where the great waves break
And the night runs right into the day
User avatar
YBBR
Posts: 39017
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: Starfield

Post by YBBR »

Tommy_Hawk wrote: ↑Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:47 am
YBBR wrote: ↑Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:12 pm
Abe Froman wrote: ↑Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:40 pm Sounds like it's big but has a lot of empty spaces. Kinda to be expected with a game this size and one that is bound to be improved with mods and dlc. One review I just watched is giving it a 7 out of 10 which is lower than I had hoped, but at least it's not buggy as hell.
88 on metacritic, which is very good. That's an average on a 100 point scale of all the review scores submitted so far. That's 50 different scores on PC from various outlets. Maybe not up to that ToTK, Baldur's Gate III, Street Fighter 6 level. Just a shade under that kind of where Armored Core 6 just landed.
So what does that equate to for the layman in the real world? Are any of these RDR2 level games or just below? What are we dealing with here?
This year, the Tears of the Kingdom and Baldur's Gate III have gotten 96's in metacritic. Which is insanely high. Which is basically 10's across the board from all publications. It's just an aggregate score of all the professional reviews stacked together. So a couple lower scores can drag that number down a lot.

88 is very good. That game was given lots of 10's too and some 8's and 9's. So on average, it was basically a 9 out of 10. If you like Bethesda's RPGs, I'm pretty sure you'll probably like this one.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
User avatar
Straight Edge Raven
Posts: 12917
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:14 pm

Re: Starfield

Post by Straight Edge Raven »

A lot of people kinda mention it takes a few hours for it to really pick up.
Maybe I've had enough of the shit brigade.
Slava Ukraini!
User avatar
jffl_commish
Posts: 28434
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am

Re: Starfield

Post by jffl_commish »

Straight Edge Raven wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:48 am A lot of people kinda mention it takes a few hours for it to really pick up.
I can see that. They're usually a little slow at the start while you learn how to play, where to go, etc....
Let's get Tropical
User avatar
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 11612
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Starfield

Post by Abe Froman »

jffl_commish wrote: ↑Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:34 pm
Straight Edge Raven wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:48 am A lot of people kinda mention it takes a few hours for it to really pick up.
I can see that. They're usually a little slow at the start while you learn how to play, where to go, etc....
Anyone else gonna try and stay up until midnight tomorrow to play it?
I made this!
User avatar
jffl_commish
Posts: 28434
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am

Re: Starfield

Post by jffl_commish »

Abe Froman wrote: ↑Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:19 pm
jffl_commish wrote: ↑Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:34 pm
Straight Edge Raven wrote: ↑Sat Sep 02, 2023 11:48 am A lot of people kinda mention it takes a few hours for it to really pick up.
I can see that. They're usually a little slow at the start while you learn how to play, where to go, etc....
Anyone else gonna try and stay up until midnight tomorrow to play it?
Not I. I won't have the machine to play it yet. Not sure when I'll get to that. Maybe not until winter time? I hate being outside in the winter anyways.
Let's get Tropical
User avatar
Abe Froman
***Official MNRC HOF Member***
Posts: 11612
Joined: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:30 am

Re: Starfield

Post by Abe Froman »

jffl_commish wrote: ↑Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:23 pm
Abe Froman wrote: ↑Sun Sep 03, 2023 9:19 pm
jffl_commish wrote: ↑Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:34 pm

I can see that. They're usually a little slow at the start while you learn how to play, where to go, etc....
Anyone else gonna try and stay up until midnight tomorrow to play it?
Not I. I won't have the machine to play it yet. Not sure when I'll get to that. Maybe not until winter time? I hate being outside in the winter anyways.
I might. We will see
I made this!
Post Reply