Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Underrated Bands Thread

Music forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Donovan McNabb
***Official Gibby Award Winner February 2018***
Posts: 4193
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Donovan McNabb »

Rancid. Every song they have is super catchy.
User avatar
Verle
Posts: 18125
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:17 pm
Location: Bumfuck,SD.

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Verle »

village.jpg
Retreat but never cower
I'm afraid disco is not making a comeback.
I like to get out and dance, and just take over the nightclub. T.J
Proud Card Carrying Member OCW
Jimtown guy
Posts: 8822
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:31 pm

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Jimtown guy »

UFO
The Cult
Queensryche
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by thinktank »

I say it all the time. Guided By Voices is criminally underrated, especially live. They might be the best living American band.

There's tons of great live clips but for sound reasons I'm going with this beer-soaked gem called Cut-Out Witch.

The guy is over 60 but he can still do David Lee Roth high kicks and sing like a motherfucker.


Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
User avatar
Verle
Posts: 18125
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:17 pm
Location: Bumfuck,SD.

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Verle »

I had never heard of this band so I listened to five of their songs. They may be one of today's better bands but that isn't very impressive considering the competition. The Stones are still alive and yes I am an FOG.
Retreat but never cower
I'm afraid disco is not making a comeback.
I like to get out and dance, and just take over the nightclub. T.J
Proud Card Carrying Member OCW
User avatar
Donovan McNabb
***Official Gibby Award Winner February 2018***
Posts: 4193
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Donovan McNabb »

Verle wrote: ↑Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:31 pm I had never heard of this band so I listened to five of their songs. They may be one of today's better bands but that isn't very impressive considering the competition. The Stones are still alive and yes I am an FOG.
Stones are my favorite band from the 60s through the 70s. I like a lot of their lesser known songs too.
Edina Froob

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Edina Froob »

For me it's the Pogues. I think they are way better than Dropkick Murphy's and Flogging Molly but are somehow way lesser known.
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by thinktank »

Verle wrote: ↑Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:31 pm I had never heard of this band so I listened to five of their songs. They may be one of today's better bands but that isn't very impressive considering the competition. The Stones are still alive and yes I am an FOG.
There's a ton of great music around today.

You're just not going to find it on mainstream radio.

Try Radio K.

But yeah, Guided By Voices is insanely good and I'm glad you checked it out.

Robert Pollard has released 101 albums so there is a lifetime of killer rock and roll to digest should you want it.
User avatar
memyworld
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:23 am
Location: Sioux Falls

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by memyworld »

While they're not underrated in some circles, I think Wilco has the stuff to be appreciated by a broader audience. I've seen them live a handful of times and they're great every single time.


Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum


Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
User avatar
Lenny5160
Posts: 3148
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:52 am

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Lenny5160 »

memyworld wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 am While they're not underrated in some circles, I think Wilco has the stuff to be appreciated by a broader audience. I've seen them live a handful of times and they're great every single time.
I'm a big Uncle Tupelo guy, which is where Jeff Tweedy started before forming Wilco. I tend to prefer the songs sung by Jay Farrar more than the Tweedy songs. Jay formed Son Volt afterward and they had a great first album, but not much after that.


Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum


Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
butterscotch streetlamps mark my path
User avatar
memyworld
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:23 am
Location: Sioux Falls

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by memyworld »

Lenny5160 wrote: ↑Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:32 am
memyworld wrote: ↑Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:54 am While they're not underrated in some circles, I think Wilco has the stuff to be appreciated by a broader audience. I've seen them live a handful of times and they're great every single time.
I'm a big Uncle Tupelo guy, which is where Jeff Tweedy started before forming Wilco. I tend to prefer the songs sung by Jay Farrar more than the Tweedy songs. Jay formed Son Volt afterward and they had a great first album, but not much after that.


Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum


Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Definitely worked my way backwards from Wilco to Uncle Tupelo a few years ago, which led me to Sun Volt and eventually to Farrar's other collaborators like Will Johnson (Centro Matic):


Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
User avatar
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***
Posts: 40668
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Corner of 14th and Oak

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Night Train »

The Cult and The Pogues have already been mentioned, and I'll also add The Kinks, perhaps the third best band to emerge from the 60s British Invasion.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - EcclesiastICS 10:2

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
User avatar
Qman65
Posts: 5566
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Qman65 »

Thin Lizzy, Montrose and UFO.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by thinktank »

Night Train wrote: ↑Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:51 am The Cult and The Pogues have already been mentioned, and I'll also add The Kinks, perhaps the third best band to emerge from the 60s British Invasion.
Hard to call the Kinks underrated.

Been in the RnR HOF for 27 years.
User avatar
Night Train
***Official Gibby Award Winner - October 2018***
Posts: 40668
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: Corner of 14th and Oak

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Night Train »

thinktank wrote: ↑Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:09 pm
Night Train wrote: ↑Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:51 am The Cult and The Pogues have already been mentioned, and I'll also add The Kinks, perhaps the third best band to emerge from the 60s British Invasion.
Hard to call the Kinks underrated.

Been in the RnR HOF for 27 years.
Yet they're still an afterthought of the 60's British invasion after the Beatles and Stones.
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. - EcclesiastICS 10:2

Minnesota - Mired in Mediocrity
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by thinktank »

Not really. They're played on classic rock radio all the time. Just like The Who and Zeppelin.
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by thinktank »

.
Last edited by thinktank on Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by thinktank »

User avatar
Qman65
Posts: 5566
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Qman65 »

You forgot how to post videos from youtube from the old board?
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by thinktank »

No. It's posted just like the old board. I think I was just tipsy.
User avatar
Qman65
Posts: 5566
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Qman65 »

Night Train wrote: ↑Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:17 pm
thinktank wrote: ↑Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:09 pm
Night Train wrote: ↑Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:51 am The Cult and The Pogues have already been mentioned, and I'll also add The Kinks, perhaps the third best band to emerge from the 60s British Invasion.
Hard to call the Kinks underrated.

Been in the RnR HOF for 27 years.
Yet they're still an afterthought of the 60's British invasion after the Beatles and Stones.
What about the Dave Clark Five?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vmiE0A34tw
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
User avatar
Donovan McNabb
***Official Gibby Award Winner February 2018***
Posts: 4193
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Donovan McNabb »

Qman65 wrote: ↑Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:59 am
What about the Dave Clark Five?
I like them
User avatar
Qman65
Posts: 5566
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Qman65 »

"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
User avatar
Slap Shot
Posts: 48959
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:17 pm
Location: Here there and everywhere

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Slap Shot »

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Interpol
User avatar
Qman65
Posts: 5566
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Qman65 »

"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
User avatar
Qman65
Posts: 5566
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Re: Underrated Bands Thread

Post by Qman65 »


Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

Really thrash metal in the end of hair metal.
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
Post Reply