Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

The pay homage to the legend Lou Holtz thread

Home for Gopher football topics
Post Reply
hategreenticemase
Posts: 29219
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:34 pm

The pay homage to the legend Lou Holtz thread

Post by hategreenticemase »

Sad scene Lou pass away this week been very entertained however that some of the gas including Rickie foggie was on with bump this week paying homage to a legend.

Holt is one of the five most interesting characters I've ever followed. Engaging, deep down a good guy, and one of the funniest sumbitches you'll ever run across. One of the most underrated coaches in CF history.

Have often wondered what it would have been like had he stayed. I am utterly convinced the gophers of the late '80s and early '90s would have been what Barry Alvarez turned Wisconsin into in the '90s. I was reminded in the interview foggie actually had two more years after holtz left. I think they went a big 10 title by the time he's done if he stays and gets the chance to bring in more recruits.

RIP Lou.
hategreenticemase
Posts: 29219
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Re: The pay homage to the legend Lou Holtz thread

Post by hategreenticemase »

My favorite Lou Holtz story. The Catholics vs convicts game, during the warm-ups before the teams actually come out to start the game there was a mele and a bunch of nonsense. This clip is what he told them right before they left the locker room to head down the tunnel. I pissed myself the first time I heard this.

https://youtube.com/shorts/c9Ztbo4gWuc? ... 35roE8Qm2p
User avatar
Slap Shot
Posts: 48959
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:17 pm
Location: Here there and everywhere

Re: The pay homage to the legend Lou Holtz thread

Post by Slap Shot »

I met him once when he was coaching at Arkansas. My mother's parents retired to Fayetteville and we used to alternate traveling to there and Baton Rouge (my father's sister and family lived there) over Thanksgiving weekend. One year my grandfather arranged a tour of their football facilities. As we were being guided through the tunnel from the locker room to the field, my brother accidentally bumped into Lou turning a corner and damn near knocked him over.

We of course all apologized and he was gracious as hell. He asked who we were, where we were from, and then walked out to the field with us and and talked to us all for about 10 minutes.

I was high as a kite when he came to Minnesota and equally bummed as hell when used his ND clause to leave.
hategreenticemase
Posts: 29219
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:34 pm

Re: The pay homage to the legend Lou Holtz thread

Post by hategreenticemase »

Slap Shot wrote: ↑Tue Mar 17, 2026 8:04 am I met him once when he was coaching at Arkansas. My mother's parents retired to Fayetteville and we used to alternate traveling to there and Baton Rouge (my father's sister and family lived there) over Thanksgiving weekend. One year my grandfather arranged a tour of their football facilities. As we were being guided through the tunnel from the locker room to the field, my brother accidentally bumped into Lou turning a corner and damn near knocked him over.

We of course all apologized and he was gracious as hell. He asked who we were, where we were from, and then walked out to the field with us and and talked to us all for about 10 minutes.

I was high as a kite when he came to Minnesota and equally bummed as hell when used his ND clause to leave.
That's a pretty cool story and fairly unsurprising given all I have ever known about the guy. Never had the massive head/ego some guys get who are successful, down to earth and good guy.

Yeah, it fucking sucked when he left. I was 15 and just knew we would have won a Rose Bowl in next 5 years had he stayed. Fully convinced we are Wis of 90s had he stayed.

Ironically, that's how I because a Notre Dame fan. Loved Holtz.
Post Reply