Wasn't feeling the most motivated early on and consequently coasted a bit at times from miles 10-30 before finding my groove. Also been getting resting heart rate readings in the upper 30s now compared to the low 40s I was getting during the winter. It was probably around mile 50 it started getting uncomfortably muggy/warm to the point where I had to walk the rest of it to avoid getting sick with the lack of electrolytes, even though the legs wanted to push the pace a bit more.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Jun 07, 2026 5:31 pmgood job. heart wasn't working too hard. I had a little tummy upset when I started out this morning too. that's not normal for me. not sure what was up with that, but it was humid. this was at 11. I'd guess it was humid when you were finishing up this morning as well.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Jun 07, 2026 11:24 am Well fellas, it was a close call, but we did finish the job with minutes to spare ahead of the 13 hour mark. Even skipped my last routine Mountain Dew pit stop to make sure we hit our deadline. Not as mighty as the 12:06 effort I put up on a hillier trail just 7 weeks ago, but when the Latuda has all but lost its effectiveness, the June sun has already got ya sweating hard by mid-morning, AND the electrolyte tabs are stuck in the container thereby forcing you to slow down to avoid getting sick, THIS is the result. Yup, departed shortly after 9 PM Saturday and clocked out around 10 AM this morning having not been too too heat adapted and all that. At least neither leg was bugging me? 4 more weeks and we'll be driving north of the border for the next competition. Hopefully the stomach cooperates this time with the help of some Wellbutrin which I anticipate on initiating within the next week or 2 once the Latuda taper is complete.
![]()
Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.
Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.
Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.
Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.
Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.
Any Outdoor Runners?
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Well, fellas, certainly seems like I exerted myself a little more this weekend at Crosby Farm Regional Park compared to that of 2 weeks ago. Watch had me at 1,218 feet of ascent, but it sure as hell felt closer to 3,000. Maybe it was the mix of paved trails and uneven wooded trails that did it. Wore the compression socks again, and yet again no pain was had - an encouraging sign as we prepare for our next race north of the border in just 2 more weeks, where the forecasted high is a pleasant 72 degrees. Hopefully that holds up. New shoes are now broken in, just downed a protein shake and currently have 3 servings of boneless wings in the oven. Gonna have the Motor City Pizza Co. Double Pep tomorrow after my upper body sesh. Hope you all had a WONDERFUL solstice!


- weimy froob
- Posts: 129070
- Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
it looks like all systems go after that exercise session in a couple of weeks. good job. the refueling sounds good as well.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20, 2026 10:35 pm Well, fellas, certainly seems like I exerted myself a little more this weekend at Crosby Farm Regional Park compared to that of 2 weeks ago. Watch had me at 1,218 feet of ascent, but it sure as hell felt closer to 3,000. Maybe it was the mix of paved trails and uneven wooded trails that did it. Wore the compression socks again, and yet again no pain was had - an encouraging sign as we prepare for our next race north of the border in just 2 more weeks, where the forecasted high is a pleasant 72 degrees. Hopefully that holds up. New shoes are now broken in, just downed a protein shake and currently have 3 servings of boneless wings in the oven. Gonna have the Motor City Pizza Co. Double Pep tomorrow after my upper body sesh. Hope you all had a WONDERFUL solstice!
![]()
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Feeling more optimistic heading into this one than the one I did 4 weeks ago. Hopefully I won't throw up this time around.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Jun 21, 2026 7:54 amit looks like all systems go after that exercise session in a couple of weeks. good job. the refueling sounds good as well.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sat Jun 20, 2026 10:35 pm Well, fellas, certainly seems like I exerted myself a little more this weekend at Crosby Farm Regional Park compared to that of 2 weeks ago. Watch had me at 1,218 feet of ascent, but it sure as hell felt closer to 3,000. Maybe it was the mix of paved trails and uneven wooded trails that did it. Wore the compression socks again, and yet again no pain was had - an encouraging sign as we prepare for our next race north of the border in just 2 more weeks, where the forecasted high is a pleasant 72 degrees. Hopefully that holds up. New shoes are now broken in, just downed a protein shake and currently have 3 servings of boneless wings in the oven. Gonna have the Motor City Pizza Co. Double Pep tomorrow after my upper body sesh. Hope you all had a WONDERFUL solstice!
![]()
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Updated race day forecast from weather.com: Sunny, high of 84, and 69% humidity. Might be a short outing. Hopefully this ice bandana I ordered on Tuesday gets here by next Thursday.
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Well fellas, a much better showing on this weekend's race which goes in the books as 100 miles/24 hours as opposed to my one from 6 weeks ago where I overdid the calories and puked during the 15th hour. A tougher course it was this weekend with sunny skies and a high of 81, so it's a damn good thing I ordered that ice bandana when I did or I may have been screwed. Can honestly say I didn't have one bit of solid food the entire time. 95%ish of the calories came from one of 3 different flavors of dew with the remaining 5% coming from Tailwind and Lemonade. No issues with chafing or blisters. Compression shorts have been a game changer and I managed to leave enough time after most laps to spray down the feet with antiperspirants/apply lubricants. From laps 8-18 or so, I was popping a Nauzene tablet every other lap and by the final 6 laps that increased to 1 per lap. 7 hour drive back home tomorrow, so gotta find a good pizza joint around here before leaving.


- weimy froob
- Posts: 129070
- Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 12:44 pm Well fellas, a much better showing on this weekend's race which goes in the books as 100 miles/24 hours as opposed to my one from 6 weeks ago where I overdid the calories and puked during the 15th hour. A tougher course it was this weekend with sunny skies and a high of 81, so it's a damn good thing I ordered that ice bandana when I did or I may have been screwed. Can honestly say I didn't have one bit of solid food the entire time. 95%ish of the calories came from one of 3 different flavors of dew with the remaining 5% coming from Tailwind and Lemonade. No issues with chafing or blisters. Compression shorts have been a game changer and I managed to leave enough time after most laps to spray down the feet with antiperspirants/apply lubricants. From laps 8-18 or so, I was popping a Nauzene tablet every other lap and by the final 6 laps that increased to 1 per lap. 7 hour drive back home tomorrow, so gotta find a good pizza joint around here before leaving.
![]()
nice to read about nothing too bad body-wise happened with this race. go find that pizza and enjoy it after a job well done.
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Thanks - only issue was not having an appetite from the very first lap. Not sure if it was from the aggressive carb loading on Friday or whatnot, but have definitely had worse experiences. Most bothersome part of the race may have been all the bugs overnight with the race taking place at a farm. Even with bug spray, if I went too slow, them buggers would feast on me.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 12:57 pmMiley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 12:44 pm Well fellas, a much better showing on this weekend's race which goes in the books as 100 miles/24 hours as opposed to my one from 6 weeks ago where I overdid the calories and puked during the 15th hour. A tougher course it was this weekend with sunny skies and a high of 81, so it's a damn good thing I ordered that ice bandana when I did or I may have been screwed. Can honestly say I didn't have one bit of solid food the entire time. 95%ish of the calories came from one of 3 different flavors of dew with the remaining 5% coming from Tailwind and Lemonade. No issues with chafing or blisters. Compression shorts have been a game changer and I managed to leave enough time after most laps to spray down the feet with antiperspirants/apply lubricants. From laps 8-18 or so, I was popping a Nauzene tablet every other lap and by the final 6 laps that increased to 1 per lap. 7 hour drive back home tomorrow, so gotta find a good pizza joint around here before leaving.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
nice to read about nothing too bad body-wise happened with this race. go find that pizza and enjoy it after a job well done.
- weimy froob
- Posts: 129070
- Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
why is not having an appetite an issue? no blisters or chafing is a huge win. what kind of bugs? horseflies? you're losing three plus lbs. on top of the water loss. you can afford to eat a couple of pizzas after all those calories burned up.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 1:36 pmThanks - only issue was not having an appetite from the very first lap. Not sure if it was from the aggressive carb loading on Friday or whatnot, but have definitely had worse experiences. Most bothersome part of the race may have been all the bugs overnight with the race taking place at a farm. Even with bug spray, if I went too slow, them buggers would feast on me.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 12:57 pmMiley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 12:44 pm Well fellas, a much better showing on this weekend's race which goes in the books as 100 miles/24 hours as opposed to my one from 6 weeks ago where I overdid the calories and puked during the 15th hour. A tougher course it was this weekend with sunny skies and a high of 81, so it's a damn good thing I ordered that ice bandana when I did or I may have been screwed. Can honestly say I didn't have one bit of solid food the entire time. 95%ish of the calories came from one of 3 different flavors of dew with the remaining 5% coming from Tailwind and Lemonade. No issues with chafing or blisters. Compression shorts have been a game changer and I managed to leave enough time after most laps to spray down the feet with antiperspirants/apply lubricants. From laps 8-18 or so, I was popping a Nauzene tablet every other lap and by the final 6 laps that increased to 1 per lap. 7 hour drive back home tomorrow, so gotta find a good pizza joint around here before leaving.
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
nice to read about nothing too bad body-wise happened with this race. go find that pizza and enjoy it after a job well done.
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Meant while racing it'd be nice to be able to crave the pizza and cinnamon rolls that the volunteers offer runners during the event instead of resorting to slurping Dew after Dew. Don't believe they were horseflies. Plain ol skeeters if I had to guess.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 6:11 pmwhy is not having an appetite an issue? no blisters or chafing is a huge win. what kind of bugs? horseflies? you're losing three plus lbs. on top of the water loss. you can afford to eat a couple of pizzas after all those calories burned up.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 1:36 pmThanks - only issue was not having an appetite from the very first lap. Not sure if it was from the aggressive carb loading on Friday or whatnot, but have definitely had worse experiences. Most bothersome part of the race may have been all the bugs overnight with the race taking place at a farm. Even with bug spray, if I went too slow, them buggers would feast on me.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 12:57 pm
![]()
![]()
![]()
nice to read about nothing too bad body-wise happened with this race. go find that pizza and enjoy it after a job well done.
- weimy froob
- Posts: 129070
- Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
I see. your stomach doesn't want any solids? i've heard that pancakes the night before the race is something that people do before marathons. or pasta. maybe you are getting too many carbs pre-race if you can't down solid food. maybe it's just a sensitive stomach. all that sugar does damage to someone who isn't burning fuel like you do. it's basically poison that is consumed too much by people with their diets.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 7:10 pmMeant while racing it'd be nice to be able to crave the pizza and cinnamon rolls that the volunteers offer runners during the event instead of resorting to slurping Dew after Dew. Don't believe they were horseflies. Plain ol skeeters if I had to guess.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 6:11 pmwhy is not having an appetite an issue? no blisters or chafing is a huge win. what kind of bugs? horseflies? you're losing three plus lbs. on top of the water loss. you can afford to eat a couple of pizzas after all those calories burned up.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 1:36 pm
Thanks - only issue was not having an appetite from the very first lap. Not sure if it was from the aggressive carb loading on Friday or whatnot, but have definitely had worse experiences. Most bothersome part of the race may have been all the bugs overnight with the race taking place at a farm. Even with bug spray, if I went too slow, them buggers would feast on me.
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Been dealing with appetite issues in general for the past however many years even when not running. Even in this type of race format though where most don't really feel the physical exertion until many hours into the race, I can usually tolerate some solids at the beginning. Was it the cinnamon roll I had 3 hours before the start (my Airbnb host graciously left one in the fridge for me as a welcome treat)? The 1.5 quart tub of ice cream 14 hours before? Always a learning experience.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 7:40 pmI see. your stomach doesn't want any solids? i've heard that pancakes the night before the race is something that people do before marathons. or pasta. maybe you are getting too many carbs pre-race if you can't down solid food. maybe it's just a sensitive stomach. all that sugar does damage to someone who isn't burning fuel like you do. it's basically poison that is consumed too much by people with their diets.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 7:10 pmMeant while racing it'd be nice to be able to crave the pizza and cinnamon rolls that the volunteers offer runners during the event instead of resorting to slurping Dew after Dew. Don't believe they were horseflies. Plain ol skeeters if I had to guess.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 6:11 pm
why is not having an appetite an issue? no blisters or chafing is a huge win. what kind of bugs? horseflies? you're losing three plus lbs. on top of the water loss. you can afford to eat a couple of pizzas after all those calories burned up.
- weimy froob
- Posts: 129070
- Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
sounds like a lot of ice cream. keep fine tuning the machine. maybe less carbs the night before if you know they're serving pizza at the race. I don't know. but I think you'll figure it out. no blisters and no chafing are big though imo. can't imagine trying to push thru that in a race.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2026 9:02 amBeen dealing with appetite issues in general for the past however many years even when not running. Even in this type of race format though where most don't really feel the physical exertion until many hours into the race, I can usually tolerate some solids at the beginning. Was it the cinnamon roll I had 3 hours before the start (my Airbnb host graciously left one in the fridge for me as a welcome treat)? The 1.5 quart tub of ice cream 14 hours before? Always a learning experience.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 7:40 pmI see. your stomach doesn't want any solids? i've heard that pancakes the night before the race is something that people do before marathons. or pasta. maybe you are getting too many carbs pre-race if you can't down solid food. maybe it's just a sensitive stomach. all that sugar does damage to someone who isn't burning fuel like you do. it's basically poison that is consumed too much by people with their diets.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 7:10 pm
Meant while racing it'd be nice to be able to crave the pizza and cinnamon rolls that the volunteers offer runners during the event instead of resorting to slurping Dew after Dew. Don't believe they were horseflies. Plain ol skeeters if I had to guess.
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Got another meeting with the psychiatrist next week. Hope he's got the right rx in him.weimy froob wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2026 9:08 amsounds like a lot of ice cream. keep fine tuning the machine. maybe less carbs the night before if you know they're serving pizza at the race. I don't know. but I think you'll figure it out. no blisters and no chafing are big though imo. can't imagine trying to push thru that in a race.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2026 9:02 amBeen dealing with appetite issues in general for the past however many years even when not running. Even in this type of race format though where most don't really feel the physical exertion until many hours into the race, I can usually tolerate some solids at the beginning. Was it the cinnamon roll I had 3 hours before the start (my Airbnb host graciously left one in the fridge for me as a welcome treat)? The 1.5 quart tub of ice cream 14 hours before? Always a learning experience.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Jul 05, 2026 7:40 pm
I see. your stomach doesn't want any solids? i've heard that pancakes the night before the race is something that people do before marathons. or pasta. maybe you are getting too many carbs pre-race if you can't down solid food. maybe it's just a sensitive stomach. all that sugar does damage to someone who isn't burning fuel like you do. it's basically poison that is consumed too much by people with their diets.
- weimy froob
- Posts: 129070
- Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
that'd be nice. what/when is the next competition?Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2026 8:44 pmGot another meeting with the psychiatrist next week. Hope he's got the right rx in him.weimy froob wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2026 9:08 amsounds like a lot of ice cream. keep fine tuning the machine. maybe less carbs the night before if you know they're serving pizza at the race. I don't know. but I think you'll figure it out. no blisters and no chafing are big though imo. can't imagine trying to push thru that in a race.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2026 9:02 am
Been dealing with appetite issues in general for the past however many years even when not running. Even in this type of race format though where most don't really feel the physical exertion until many hours into the race, I can usually tolerate some solids at the beginning. Was it the cinnamon roll I had 3 hours before the start (my Airbnb host graciously left one in the fridge for me as a welcome treat)? The 1.5 quart tub of ice cream 14 hours before? Always a learning experience.![]()
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Got 25 days before heading to Jersey for a traditional 100 miler. Flat, paved course with a 30 hour limit. Only concern is how steamy it'll get.weimy froob wrote: ↑Tue Jul 07, 2026 7:17 amthat'd be nice. what/when is the next competition?Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2026 8:44 pmGot another meeting with the psychiatrist next week. Hope he's got the right rx in him.weimy froob wrote: ↑Mon Jul 06, 2026 9:08 am
sounds like a lot of ice cream. keep fine tuning the machine. maybe less carbs the night before if you know they're serving pizza at the race. I don't know. but I think you'll figure it out. no blisters and no chafing are big though imo. can't imagine trying to push thru that in a race.![]()
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Well, fellas, with being 2 weeks removed from running 100 miles and 2 weeks away from what we're hoping to complete is the same distance, decided to play it safe and cut the usual 100K in half this weekend to avoid any unintended aches and/or pains. Got up at a quarter to 3 to beat the heat and had 740 calories worth of bread before getting the party started. Managed to get by without any in game calories, just a few water stops mixed with a couple of electrolyte tabs. 14 day forecast calls for a high of 87, which is about average for that area this time of year, so wouldn't be too displeased if that somehow holds true, especially if my sauna training pays off.. Motor City Pizza co. likely on tap either tonight and tomorrow.


- weimy froob
- Posts: 129070
- Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
prudent. wasn't as brutal today as it's been this week. you can feel the difference 10 degrees makes. still going to lose water weight though.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sat Jul 18, 2026 11:00 am Well, fellas, with being 2 weeks removed from running 100 miles and 2 weeks away from what we're hoping to complete is the same distance, decided to play it safe and cut the usual 100K in half this weekend to avoid any unintended aches and/or pains. Got up at a quarter to 3 to beat the heat and had 740 calories worth of bread before getting the party started. Managed to get by without any in game calories, just a few water stops mixed with a couple of electrolyte tabs. 14 day forecast calls for a high of 87, which is about average for that area this time of year, so wouldn't be too displeased if that somehow holds true, especially if my sauna training pays off.. Motor City Pizza co. likely on tap either tonight and tomorrow.
![]()
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
10 degrees + minimal sun combine for a more pleasant experience. Hoping for a GREAT upper body sesh today.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sat Jul 18, 2026 7:18 pmprudent. wasn't as brutal today as it's been this week. you can feel the difference 10 degrees makes. still going to lose water weight though.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sat Jul 18, 2026 11:00 am Well, fellas, with being 2 weeks removed from running 100 miles and 2 weeks away from what we're hoping to complete is the same distance, decided to play it safe and cut the usual 100K in half this weekend to avoid any unintended aches and/or pains. Got up at a quarter to 3 to beat the heat and had 740 calories worth of bread before getting the party started. Managed to get by without any in game calories, just a few water stops mixed with a couple of electrolyte tabs. 14 day forecast calls for a high of 87, which is about average for that area this time of year, so wouldn't be too displeased if that somehow holds true, especially if my sauna training pays off.. Motor City Pizza co. likely on tap either tonight and tomorrow.
![]()
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Less than 9 hours to go until the party begins! Forecast shows a high of 86, 63% humidity, and cloudiness. All in all, could definitely be worse. Been binging on bread all day with 5 oz of turkey pepperoni thrown in for some more protein. Hoping to get this bad boy wrapped up in under 24 hours, but expect the unexpected.
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Well fellas, missed the sub 24 result by THAT much. Watch had me at 100 miles at 23:31, but between the race technically being 101.25 miles + walking to the porta potty more than enough times, it ain't meant to be. Maybe if there were a porta potty every quarter mile, I wouldn't resort to pissing down my leg so often. First half went pretty well and thought I had a shot at around 22 hours the way things were going, BUT...mile 69 comes around and my stomach shut down again. Thought I was going to puke, but threw some cold water on the head and managed to hold it down. Not sure how much the 87 degree temps/72 dew point may have played into that, but yet another case of the stomach not being able to keep up with the legs. The day we fix that is the day the Purple hoist the Lombardi. Regardless, looking forward to some Mid-Atlantic Sicilian pizza when I'm a little more recovered. Tentatively planning on a mid september race in Wisco, depending on life and such.


- weimy froob
- Posts: 129070
- Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
great job. again. it does look like the lack of porta potties kept you from your target, over an extra mile because of the back tracking? the stomach is just telling you not to overdo it. you're already doing more than enough compared to 99 plus percent of all of us other people. enjoy the well deserved pizza.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 10:33 am Well fellas, missed the sub 24 result by THAT much. Watch had me at 100 miles at 23:31, but between the race technically being 101.25 miles + walking to the porta potty more than enough times, it ain't meant to be. Maybe if there were a porta potty every quarter mile, I wouldn't resort to pissing down my leg so often. First half went pretty well and thought I had a shot at around 22 hours the way things were going, BUT...mile 69 comes around and my stomach shut down again. Thought I was going to puke, but threw some cold water on the head and managed to hold it down. Not sure how much the 87 degree temps/72 dew point may have played into that, but yet another case of the stomach not being able to keep up with the legs. The day we fix that is the day the Purple hoist the Lombardi. Regardless, looking forward to some Mid-Atlantic Sicilian pizza when I'm a little more recovered. Tentatively planning on a mid september race in Wisco, depending on life and such.
![]()
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
There were a good number of porta potties compared to some other races, if a bit further off the course. it's just when I'm relying so much on caffeinated fluids (bladder irritant), I often end up having to take a leak a couple times a mile. Could've been worse. Saw one guy passed out with people pouring ice over him.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 11:53 amgreat job. again. it does look like the lack of porta potties kept you from your target, over an extra mile because of the back tracking? the stomach is just telling you not to overdo it. you're already doing more than enough compared to 99 plus percent of all of us other people. enjoy the well deserved pizza.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 10:33 am Well fellas, missed the sub 24 result by THAT much. Watch had me at 100 miles at 23:31, but between the race technically being 101.25 miles + walking to the porta potty more than enough times, it ain't meant to be. Maybe if there were a porta potty every quarter mile, I wouldn't resort to pissing down my leg so often. First half went pretty well and thought I had a shot at around 22 hours the way things were going, BUT...mile 69 comes around and my stomach shut down again. Thought I was going to puke, but threw some cold water on the head and managed to hold it down. Not sure how much the 87 degree temps/72 dew point may have played into that, but yet another case of the stomach not being able to keep up with the legs. The day we fix that is the day the Purple hoist the Lombardi. Regardless, looking forward to some Mid-Atlantic Sicilian pizza when I'm a little more recovered. Tentatively planning on a mid september race in Wisco, depending on life and such.
![]()
- weimy froob
- Posts: 129070
- Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Google AI says that that could be an insufficient sodium issue. kind of weird that you're not able to empty your bladder and have to use the bathroom again in less than a mile. I sometimes can take two pisses back to back during the night because I don't empty my bladder, but what you have going is a totally different thing. I can't really relate to what you have going, so I have no idea what's up with that.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 5:44 pmThere were a good number of porta potties compared to some other races, if a bit further off the course. it's just when I'm relying so much on caffeinated fluids (bladder irritant), I often end up having to take a leak a couple times a mile. Could've been worse. Saw one guy passed out with people pouring ice over him.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 11:53 amgreat job. again. it does look like the lack of porta potties kept you from your target, over an extra mile because of the back tracking? the stomach is just telling you not to overdo it. you're already doing more than enough compared to 99 plus percent of all of us other people. enjoy the well deserved pizza.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 10:33 am Well fellas, missed the sub 24 result by THAT much. Watch had me at 100 miles at 23:31, but between the race technically being 101.25 miles + walking to the porta potty more than enough times, it ain't meant to be. Maybe if there were a porta potty every quarter mile, I wouldn't resort to pissing down my leg so often. First half went pretty well and thought I had a shot at around 22 hours the way things were going, BUT...mile 69 comes around and my stomach shut down again. Thought I was going to puke, but threw some cold water on the head and managed to hold it down. Not sure how much the 87 degree temps/72 dew point may have played into that, but yet another case of the stomach not being able to keep up with the legs. The day we fix that is the day the Purple hoist the Lombardi. Regardless, looking forward to some Mid-Atlantic Sicilian pizza when I'm a little more recovered. Tentatively planning on a mid september race in Wisco, depending on life and such.
![]()
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Remember reading about the lack of sodium too now that you mention it. Was mixing 1 salt tablet per quart or so of water, but may not have been enough. Had someweimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 6:16 pmGoogle AI says that that could be an insufficient sodium issue. kind of weird that you're not able to empty your bladder and have to use the bathroom again in less than a mile. I sometimes can take two pisses back to back during the night because I don't empty my bladder, but what you have going is a totally different thing. I can't really relate to what you have going, so I have no idea what's up with that.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 5:44 pmThere were a good number of porta potties compared to some other races, if a bit further off the course. it's just when I'm relying so much on caffeinated fluids (bladder irritant), I often end up having to take a leak a couple times a mile. Could've been worse. Saw one guy passed out with people pouring ice over him.weimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 11:53 am
great job. again. it does look like the lack of porta potties kept you from your target, over an extra mile because of the back tracking? the stomach is just telling you not to overdo it. you're already doing more than enough compared to 99 plus percent of all of us other people. enjoy the well deserved pizza.
- weimy froob
- Posts: 129070
- Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
nothing wrong with going heavy on the salt when it's as hot as it was. my body craves it.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Mon Aug 03, 2026 9:10 amRemember reading about the lack of sodium too now that you mention it. Was mixing 1 salt tablet per quart or so of water, but may not have been enough. Had someweimy froob wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 6:16 pmGoogle AI says that that could be an insufficient sodium issue. kind of weird that you're not able to empty your bladder and have to use the bathroom again in less than a mile. I sometimes can take two pisses back to back during the night because I don't empty my bladder, but what you have going is a totally different thing. I can't really relate to what you have going, so I have no idea what's up with that.Miley Cyrus wrote: ↑Sun Aug 02, 2026 5:44 pm
There were a good number of porta potties compared to some other races, if a bit further off the course. it's just when I'm relying so much on caffeinated fluids (bladder irritant), I often end up having to take a leak a couple times a mile. Could've been worse. Saw one guy passed out with people pouring ice over him.trouble about a quarter of the way in, and thought maybe I was taking in too much sodium, but guessing the heat may have had more to do with that.
- weimy froob
- Posts: 129070
- Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Miley, I'm reading a book by Scott Jurek about trying to set the speed record for doing the Appalachian Trail. it's going to be a tough ask, and my guess is that he's not going to be able to do it. 50 miles a day average. 2100 plus miles.
- weimy froob
- Posts: 129070
- Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
okay, I have to give "the Jerker" a chance to set the record after the latest reading. he's a quarter thru the trail and seemingly back on pace to get it. somehow he has written that he's worked through the runner's knee and quad pull muscle and is able to run the trail again. still 50 miles a day the rest of the way, so it's not a given that he gets it done.
- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Well, fellas, looked at my race schedule and crunched the numbers to conclude that 6 hours and 1 minute on the elliptical this weekend should be plenty to keep our fitness up. As is usually the case for me on that machine, the quads start aching pretty badly after 2-3 hours forcing me to take some extended rest breaks after every 30-60 minutes of activity. Nonetheless, pulled the trigger this afternoon on a race over Labor Day weekend. 1 mile loop with 72 feet of gain. Run around it as many times as you can in 24 hours. We'll see if the stomach cooperates and lets me get to 100.


- Miley Cyrus
- Posts: 4646
- Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:51 pm
Re: Any Outdoor Runners?
Guy's a beast. 50 miles a day for multiple weeks is tough enough. Add in the rugged terrain and if my math is correct, about 10-11k feet of elevation gain per day, and you've gained some serious bragging rights. Remember a news feature a while back about a local guy running the amount of miles equal to the day of the month (run 23 miles on the 23rd day of the month then 24 miles on the 24th, etc). That I may be able to handle.weimy froob wrote: ↑Mon Aug 10, 2026 9:16 am okay, I have to give "the Jerker" a chance to set the record after the latest reading. he's a quarter thru the trail and seemingly back on pace to get it. somehow he has written that he's worked through the runner's knee and quad pull muscle and is able to run the trail again. still 50 miles a day the rest of the way, so it's not a given that he gets it done.

