Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Music forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
Donovan McNabb
***Official Gibby Award Winner February 2018***
Posts: 4193
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by Donovan McNabb »

There are certainly lots of bands who are similar to these 2 bands, but these 2 were very popular in their times, so I chose these bands. Who do you got?

I like early Radiohead, but anything they made in the last like 10 years is trash.
User avatar
shatminster fuller
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:41 pm
Location: Corner of healthy and happy

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by shatminster fuller »

Radiohead. Last group that really grabbed me, before I got too old. Never been a big Pink Floyd fan.
Salut les Terriens!
La culture domine tout, elle est la condition sine qua non de notre civilisation…
User avatar
Drizzay
Posts: 6341
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: Armatage

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by Drizzay »

Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel

Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home

Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Tell your story walkin'!
User avatar
Qman65
Posts: 5566
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by Qman65 »

"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
User avatar
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***
Posts: 40114
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Not Lonsdale!

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by cmd24 »

Floyd...all day every day. David Gilmore is one of the greatest guitar players ever.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
User avatar
shatminster fuller
Posts: 1903
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:41 pm
Location: Corner of healthy and happy

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by shatminster fuller »

Salut les Terriens!
La culture domine tout, elle est la condition sine qua non de notre civilisation…
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by thinktank »

cmd24 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:59 am Floyd...all day every day. David Gilmore is one of the greatest guitar players ever.
This.

I love Radiohead but it's not even close.
User avatar
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***
Posts: 40114
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Not Lonsdale!

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by cmd24 »

thinktank wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 am
cmd24 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:59 am Floyd...all day every day. David Gilmore is one of the greatest guitar players ever.
This.

I love Radiohead but it's not even close.
His solo on Comfortably Numb, on the Pulse album is so awesome. So much power to it. Same with his work on the slide guitar during Sorrow and also High Hopes.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
User avatar
Donovan McNabb
***Official Gibby Award Winner February 2018***
Posts: 4193
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by Donovan McNabb »

I don't really value either band as strong instrumentally.
User avatar
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***
Posts: 40114
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Not Lonsdale!

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by cmd24 »

Donovan McNabb wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:01 pm I don't really value either band as strong instrumentally.
Are you saying you don't think they are good musicians, or just that you don't pay attention the sound, but rather the lyrics?
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
User avatar
Donovan McNabb
***Official Gibby Award Winner February 2018***
Posts: 4193
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by Donovan McNabb »

cmd24 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:15 pm
Donovan McNabb wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:01 pm I don't really value either band as strong instrumentally.
Are you saying you don't think they are good musicians, or just that you don't pay attention the sound, but rather the lyrics?
I think both bands are competent instrumentally, but I doubt many people value them in that regard. I think people like them because they are creative and innovative.
User avatar
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***
Posts: 40114
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Not Lonsdale!

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by cmd24 »

Donovan McNabb wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 pm
cmd24 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:15 pm
Donovan McNabb wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:01 pm I don't really value either band as strong instrumentally.
Are you saying you don't think they are good musicians, or just that you don't pay attention the sound, but rather the lyrics?
I think both bands are competent instrumentally, but I doubt many people value them in that regard. I think people like them because they are creative and innovative.
I could definitely agree with you, regarding Radiohead (though outside of Creep, I'm not really a fan), but I think you might be underselling Gilmour, and how he's regarded as a guitarist. I think he's pretty widely considered one of the best.

Either way, it's hard to argue with the creativeness that both put out. While I'm not a Radiohead fan, I have a lot of respect for what they've done. I'm a music fan, first and foremost, so even if it's something I don't particularly care for, I can appreciate it.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by thinktank »

It's his touch, pitch, and phrasing that makes him so, so good.

A lot of guys can play fast.

Hardly any can play with his emotion and sound.
User avatar
bubu dubu.
Posts: 15816
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by bubu dubu. »

User avatar
Donovan McNabb
***Official Gibby Award Winner February 2018***
Posts: 4193
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by Donovan McNabb »

thinktank wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 pm It's his touch, pitch, and phrasing that makes him so, so good.

A lot of guys can play fast.

Hardly any can play with his emotion and sound.

This is just nonsense babble. Playing with emotion is an immeasurable positive you're giving him. No one can prove it right or wrong.
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by thinktank »

Music is art.

There is no right and wrong.
User avatar
Donovan McNabb
***Official Gibby Award Winner February 2018***
Posts: 4193
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:14 pm

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by Donovan McNabb »

thinktank wrote: ↑Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:30 pm Music is art.

There is no right and wrong.
yes there is. If I said I have a comparable vocal range to Chris Cornell I would be wrong.
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by thinktank »

Oh sweet troll, we're talking about emotion not facility.
User avatar
cmd24
***Official 2019 Froob Bracket Winner***
Posts: 40114
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:20 am
Location: Not Lonsdale!

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by cmd24 »

thinktank wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 pm It's his touch, pitch, and phrasing that makes him so, so good.

A lot of guys can play fast.

Hardly any can play with his emotion and sound.
There is a lot to this. While you can argue the solo on Comfortably Numb isn't some sort of technical masterpiece (I might not agree with someone that says it isn't, but I can understand the take), it's so hard to argue the emotion. It is such a powerful solo.
*** Official 2019 Disputed Brackets Champ ***
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by thinktank »

Well, the note bending is technically a masterpiece. He's one of the best ever at that. A hell of a lot better than Slow Hand Clapton, for example.

But yes, of course emotion counts. That's what should count the most.
User avatar
Slap Shot
Posts: 48959
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:17 pm
Location: Here there and everywhere

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Post by Slap Shot »

I love Radiohead (The Bends is one of my favorite records ever) but it's Pink Floyd every day and twice...
Post Reply