Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

*** Music Hardware Thread ***

Music forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
flexbuffchest
Posts: 27091
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:08 pm

*** Music Hardware Thread ***

Post by flexbuffchest »

Was curious to hear if anyone in here was an "audiophile" and has invested in good equipment? What's your setup?

I personally just got a Sennheiser HD650 (previously had a Oppo PM-3) and run it through an Audiogenie D1. I shamefully have to admit I use Tidal because they are the only service that offers lossless streaming. :?

Listening to the same song on Spotify vs. a set up like mine is like hearing the song for the first time. It's incredible.

Any of you guys use vinyl?
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
User avatar
LordNu
Posts: 11100
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:15 am

Re: *** Music Hardware Thread ***

Post by LordNu »

I am looking at a few things atm as I am lookinga t getting an MPC. What are your thoguhts on the Pioneer HRM5?

For vinyl I was looking at Pioneer PLX500.

Anyone have opinions about these?
User avatar
Qman65
Posts: 5566
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:05 pm

Re: *** Music Hardware Thread ***

Post by Qman65 »

Yamaha R-S 700 amp
Sony 5 disc CD player
Kenwood KW 1060 dual cassette player
Realistic 10 band EQ
JBL G500 series towers
"That's like uh, your opinion man"!
User avatar
flexbuffchest
Posts: 27091
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Re: *** Music Hardware Thread ***

Post by flexbuffchest »

LordNu wrote: ↑Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:02 pm I am looking at a few things atm as I am lookinga t getting an MPC. What are your thoguhts on the Pioneer HRM5?

For vinyl I was looking at Pioneer PLX500.

Anyone have opinions about these?
What's an MPC?

What are you going to be using the headphones for? I mean like from your phone, spotify, pandora, etc? Should be perfect for anything like that.

The only thing I'd have to say that might be a negative is that if you get a really high quality audio source then you probably wont be able to hear a big difference vs. the quality of premium spotify premium or something.

I mean the set up I have is considered "entry level" for audiophile equipment and it's still expensive :?

Sennheiser HD650 ~$315 (previously had a Oppo PM-3 ~400)
Audiogenie D1 ~170
Tidal - $19 a month

Then you can get into over ear, on-ear, noise canceling/sound isolating, etc and what kind of driver they use like planar magnetic, dynamic driver, electrostatic, etc all have different benefits and cons depending on how you want to listen to your music. THEN :lol: lets say you want to play music on your computer, well your motherboard sound or sound card wont really cut it (talking audiophile stuff here). They are inferior in terms of specifications compared to AMPs/DACs to begin with and the motherboards/sound cards are susceptible to noise interference. Gotta remember that the music will only sound as good as the weakest link.

TL:DR: I just went into a long rant and sound kinda like an audio elitist/snob. :lol:

Yes those headphones will sound better then most.
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
User avatar
LordNu
Posts: 11100
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:15 am

Re: *** Music Hardware Thread ***

Post by LordNu »

flexbuffchest wrote: ↑Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:24 pm
LordNu wrote: ↑Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:02 pm I am looking at a few things atm as I am lookinga t getting an MPC. What are your thoguhts on the Pioneer HRM5?

For vinyl I was looking at Pioneer PLX500.

Anyone have opinions about these?
What's an MPC?

What are you going to be using the headphones for? I mean like from your phone, spotify, pandora, etc? Should be perfect for anything like that.

The only thing I'd have to say that might be a negative is that if you get a really high quality audio source then you probably wont be able to hear a big difference vs. the quality of premium spotify premium or something.

I mean the set up I have is considered "entry level" for audiophile equipment and it's still expensive :?

Sennheiser HD650 ~$315 (previously had a Oppo PM-3 ~400)
Audiogenie D1 ~170
Tidal - $19 a month

Then you can get into over ear, on-ear, noise canceling/sound isolating, etc and what kind of driver they use like planar magnetic, dynamic driver, electrostatic, etc all have different benefits and cons depending on how you want to listen to your music. THEN :lol: lets say you want to play music on your computer, well your motherboard sound or sound card wont really cut it (talking audiophile stuff here). They are inferior in terms of specifications compared to AMPs/DACs to begin with and the motherboards/sound cards are susceptible to noise interference. Gotta remember that the music will only sound as good as the weakest link.

TL:DR: I just went into a long rant and sound kinda like an audio elitist/snob. :lol:

Yes those headphones will sound better then most.
Girlfriend is getting me the HRM6 - I think - for christmas.

It's for making music, not listening per se. The MPC is a Music Production Controller, hence what the headphones for.

There is a thread I made in Music Chat about the MPC. I got mine last week, had a fiddle around trying to install the software. Very receptive, sounds good. Going to take a while before I feel competent in actually making what I want.
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: *** Music Hardware Thread ***

Post by thinktank »

I've got a pair of vintage 70s Marantz speakers for my Technics receiver and then JBL LSR305 monitors for the iMac. The Marantz sound warm and the JBLs sound accurate and highly defined.

I recommend studio monitors for those looking to hear everything.

Monitors provide the best clarity across the frequency spectrum.
Post Reply