Page 1 of 1

Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:48 pm
by Donovan McNabb
There are certainly lots of bands who are similar to these 2 bands, but these 2 were very popular in their times, so I chose these bands. Who do you got?

I like early Radiohead, but anything they made in the last like 10 years is trash.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:55 pm
by shatminster fuller
Radiohead. Last group that really grabbed me, before I got too old. Never been a big Pink Floyd fan.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:43 pm
by Drizzay
Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan
Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel

Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack
Who was only a stranger at home

Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:04 am
by Qman65

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:59 am
by cmd24
Floyd...all day every day. David Gilmore is one of the greatest guitar players ever.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:00 pm
by shatminster fuller

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 am
by thinktank
cmd24 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:59 am Floyd...all day every day. David Gilmore is one of the greatest guitar players ever.
This.

I love Radiohead but it's not even close.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:54 am
by cmd24
thinktank wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:51 am
cmd24 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:59 am Floyd...all day every day. David Gilmore is one of the greatest guitar players ever.
This.

I love Radiohead but it's not even close.
His solo on Comfortably Numb, on the Pulse album is so awesome. So much power to it. Same with his work on the slide guitar during Sorrow and also High Hopes.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:01 pm
by Donovan McNabb
I don't really value either band as strong instrumentally.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:15 pm
by cmd24
Donovan McNabb wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:01 pm I don't really value either band as strong instrumentally.
Are you saying you don't think they are good musicians, or just that you don't pay attention the sound, but rather the lyrics?

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 pm
by Donovan McNabb
cmd24 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:15 pm
Donovan McNabb wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:01 pm I don't really value either band as strong instrumentally.
Are you saying you don't think they are good musicians, or just that you don't pay attention the sound, but rather the lyrics?
I think both bands are competent instrumentally, but I doubt many people value them in that regard. I think people like them because they are creative and innovative.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:29 pm
by cmd24
Donovan McNabb wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:21 pm
cmd24 wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:15 pm
Donovan McNabb wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:01 pm I don't really value either band as strong instrumentally.
Are you saying you don't think they are good musicians, or just that you don't pay attention the sound, but rather the lyrics?
I think both bands are competent instrumentally, but I doubt many people value them in that regard. I think people like them because they are creative and innovative.
I could definitely agree with you, regarding Radiohead (though outside of Creep, I'm not really a fan), but I think you might be underselling Gilmour, and how he's regarded as a guitarist. I think he's pretty widely considered one of the best.

Either way, it's hard to argue with the creativeness that both put out. While I'm not a Radiohead fan, I have a lot of respect for what they've done. I'm a music fan, first and foremost, so even if it's something I don't particularly care for, I can appreciate it.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 pm
by thinktank
It's his touch, pitch, and phrasing that makes him so, so good.

A lot of guys can play fast.

Hardly any can play with his emotion and sound.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:48 pm
by bubu dubu.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:58 pm
by Donovan McNabb
thinktank wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 pm It's his touch, pitch, and phrasing that makes him so, so good.

A lot of guys can play fast.

Hardly any can play with his emotion and sound.

This is just nonsense babble. Playing with emotion is an immeasurable positive you're giving him. No one can prove it right or wrong.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:30 pm
by thinktank
Music is art.

There is no right and wrong.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:03 pm
by Donovan McNabb
thinktank wrote: ↑Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:30 pm Music is art.

There is no right and wrong.
yes there is. If I said I have a comparable vocal range to Chris Cornell I would be wrong.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:27 am
by thinktank
Oh sweet troll, we're talking about emotion not facility.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:54 am
by cmd24
thinktank wrote: ↑Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 pm It's his touch, pitch, and phrasing that makes him so, so good.

A lot of guys can play fast.

Hardly any can play with his emotion and sound.
There is a lot to this. While you can argue the solo on Comfortably Numb isn't some sort of technical masterpiece (I might not agree with someone that says it isn't, but I can understand the take), it's so hard to argue the emotion. It is such a powerful solo.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:03 am
by thinktank
Well, the note bending is technically a masterpiece. He's one of the best ever at that. A hell of a lot better than Slow Hand Clapton, for example.

But yes, of course emotion counts. That's what should count the most.

Re: Pink Floyd vs. Radiohead

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:52 pm
by Slap Shot
I love Radiohead (The Bends is one of my favorite records ever) but it's Pink Floyd every day and twice...