Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.
Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.
Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.
Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.
Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.
The Drumeo YouTube Thread
- The Lizard King
- Posts: 37347
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:01 am
The Drumeo YouTube Thread
I like the Drumeo channel on YouTube. I really like series "_________ hears __________ for the first time" series on Drumeo. The host (Brandon Toews) plays a song (without a drum track) to a guest drummer has never heard it before and must come up with an original drum track on his/her own.
The latest in the series is Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater fame coming up with his interpretation of Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off." He actually does two completely different takes, and they're both gloriously awesome.
If you've never seen this series and love excellent drum play, you're in for a treat.
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
The latest in the series is Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater fame coming up with his interpretation of Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off." He actually does two completely different takes, and they're both gloriously awesome.
If you've never seen this series and love excellent drum play, you're in for a treat.
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
- Jack Soo 5
- Posts: 8677
- Joined: Mon May 08, 2023 5:07 pm
- Location: 12th Precinct - Motown
Re: The Drumeo YouTube Thread
Good stuff LK! I've seen a bunch of these, and they're great. I'm not sure Portnoy is capable of doing a straight 2/4 rock beat for more than 4 bars....haha. I like the ones with the younger, good drummers of today doing classic rock songs. There's also a similar channel where they do this but with keyboard players. That one's pretty good too.
Chicks think I'm the ginchiest!
- The Lizard King
- Posts: 37347
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:01 am
Re: The Drumeo YouTube Thread
I'm glad I'm not the only one who is highly entertained by these.Jack Soo 5 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 18, 2025 10:10 am Good stuff LK! I've seen a bunch of these, and they're great. I'm not sure Portnoy is capable of doing a straight 2/4 rock beat for more than 4 bars....haha. I like the ones with the younger, good drummers of today doing classic rock songs. There's also a similar channel where they do this but with keyboard players. That one's pretty good too.
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
- The Lizard King
- Posts: 37347
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:01 am
Re: The Drumeo YouTube Thread
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
- The Lizard King
- Posts: 37347
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:01 am
Re: The Drumeo YouTube Thread
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
- Beef Supreme
- Posts: 92160
- Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 pm
- Location: House of Representin'
Re: The Drumeo YouTube Thread
They're neat, but I'm sometimes skeptical that these guys have really never heard these songs before.
Never broken them down and learned and analyzed the drum parts before? Sure. I'll buy that. But are we to believe that woman had never heard "Limelight" by Rush before? Really? Never? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. Volta is a prog-rock band. Rush are maybe the most iconic prog-rock band of all time. I know she hasn't been with them forever, but Rush and one of their biggest tracks never came up?
Still a cool channel, though. There's a number of Portnoy episodes and those are all killer. The one where he does Tool is great.
Never broken them down and learned and analyzed the drum parts before? Sure. I'll buy that. But are we to believe that woman had never heard "Limelight" by Rush before? Really? Never? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. Volta is a prog-rock band. Rush are maybe the most iconic prog-rock band of all time. I know she hasn't been with them forever, but Rush and one of their biggest tracks never came up?
Still a cool channel, though. There's a number of Portnoy episodes and those are all killer. The one where he does Tool is great.
“‘Freedom’ is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.”
- George Orwell
- George Orwell
- Tommy_Hawk
- Posts: 16212
- Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:14 pm
Re: The Drumeo YouTube Thread
Dennis Chambers doing "Schism" was the first one I saw a few years ago. Its a fun series, but yeah you arw right, that guy from Julliard never heard The Offspring before? Yeah, maybe but I fimd that harder to believe than Stu Copeland not hearing Limp Bizkit.Beef Supreme wrote: ↑Sat Mar 21, 2026 8:36 am They're neat, but I'm sometimes skeptical that these guys have really never heard these songs before.
Never broken them down and learned and analyzed the drum parts before? Sure. I'll buy that. But are we to believe that woman had never heard "Limelight" by Rush before? Really? Never? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. Volta is a prog-rock band. Rush are maybe the most iconic prog-rock band of all time. I know she hasn't been with them forever, but Rush and one of their biggest tracks never came up?
Still a cool channel, though. There's a number of Portnoy episodes and those are all killer. The one where he does Tool is great.
Trees Make Great Neighbors
I wanna live in a land of lakes
Where the great waves break
And the night runs right into the day
I wanna live in a land of lakes
Where the great waves break
And the night runs right into the day
- The Lizard King
- Posts: 37347
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:01 am
Re: The Drumeo YouTube Thread
Dennis Chambers knocked it out of the park.Tommy_Hawk wrote: ↑Tue May 26, 2026 11:34 amDennis Chambers doing "Schism" was the first one I saw a few years ago. Its a fun series, but yeah you arw right, that guy from Julliard never heard The Offspring before? Yeah, maybe but I fimd that harder to believe than Stu Copeland not hearing Limp Bizkit.Beef Supreme wrote: ↑Sat Mar 21, 2026 8:36 am They're neat, but I'm sometimes skeptical that these guys have really never heard these songs before.
Never broken them down and learned and analyzed the drum parts before? Sure. I'll buy that. But are we to believe that woman had never heard "Limelight" by Rush before? Really? Never? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. Volta is a prog-rock band. Rush are maybe the most iconic prog-rock band of all time. I know she hasn't been with them forever, but Rush and one of their biggest tracks never came up?
Still a cool channel, though. There's a number of Portnoy episodes and those are all killer. The one where he does Tool is great.
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
- Tommy_Hawk
- Posts: 16212
- Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:14 pm
Re: The Drumeo YouTube Thread
Yeah! I hadnt heard Schism for a few years, and his contrasting style caught my attention the first time I saw Drumeo stuff, so I check in now every few months to see new stuff.The Lizard King wrote: ↑Tue May 26, 2026 11:42 amDennis Chambers knocked it out of the park.Tommy_Hawk wrote: ↑Tue May 26, 2026 11:34 amDennis Chambers doing "Schism" was the first one I saw a few years ago. Its a fun series, but yeah you arw right, that guy from Julliard never heard The Offspring before? Yeah, maybe but I fimd that harder to believe than Stu Copeland not hearing Limp Bizkit.Beef Supreme wrote: ↑Sat Mar 21, 2026 8:36 am They're neat, but I'm sometimes skeptical that these guys have really never heard these songs before.
Never broken them down and learned and analyzed the drum parts before? Sure. I'll buy that. But are we to believe that woman had never heard "Limelight" by Rush before? Really? Never? Maybe, but I'm skeptical. Volta is a prog-rock band. Rush are maybe the most iconic prog-rock band of all time. I know she hasn't been with them forever, but Rush and one of their biggest tracks never came up?
Still a cool channel, though. There's a number of Portnoy episodes and those are all killer. The one where he does Tool is great.
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Trees Make Great Neighbors
I wanna live in a land of lakes
Where the great waves break
And the night runs right into the day
I wanna live in a land of lakes
Where the great waves break
And the night runs right into the day
- The Lizard King
- Posts: 37347
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:01 am
Re: The Drumeo YouTube Thread
Not Drumeo, but this guy is AMAZING.
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Real name: Jorge Garrido.
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Real name: Jorge Garrido.
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC
- The Lizard King
- Posts: 37347
- Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:01 am
Re: The Drumeo YouTube Thread
Based upon his comments and what he comes up with, I believe that he's never heard this song before.
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum
"If you ever need anything, please don't hesitate to ask someone else first." - KDC


