Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Moderator: Sylvester Stallone

Post Reply
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***
Posts: 52150
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by RubeTube »

The Replacements wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:22 pm
Sally 2.0 wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:55 pm I'm not a DLo guy, but I am a KAT guy. If he makes KAT happy, do whatever to get him. If KAT doesn't actually care, then fuck em.
I think that sums up my feelings as well. I won't be upset if they don't get him. I believe it will cost too much to have him on the roster. I believe Rosas has something else in the works. Garland doesn't seem like a fit in Cleveland and Culver is not a great fit here. Could something still be in the works? I just get the feeling Culver will never play a game for the Twolves. Just a hunch.
Give them Culver and Okogie and make the swap.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master

FUCK TRUMP!

FUCK ICE!
mlhouse
Posts: 32286
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by mlhouse »

TrueBlue wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:37 pm
t_wrex wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:04 pm
Sally 2.0 wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:18 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Come on man make a counterpoint.

The ability is there. I personally just think he's burned out and he's stuck mentally.

He reminds me right now of a guy from "fantasy island" where he was granted basketball superstardom but didn't realize what a hell it is getting scrutinized and isn't up to par with the intense thankless training. Maybe his wife is goin psycho on em too, adding to the shit factor.

Dude needs a smaller role, less minutes, a few words of encouragement and smarter training.
There is no counter to be made vs a guy saying Wiggins takes bad shots because someone has to.

NO. No one has to take midrange pull up fade-away with 13 left on the shot clock. Ever.

If someone is going to pretend like that’s not real then there’s no argument to be had, they aren’t watching the games or they’re blinded by their love for a player.
Players take midrange pull ups all the time. Watch some Jarrett Culver game. The problem with the Wolves offense over the years is that is what we had. We did not have shooters on the perimeter to kick the ball out to. We did not have spacing to open up more of the lane and cut down on help defense, so Wiggisn and Towns get cut off all the time. We ran an old fashion offense and a lot of inefficiency will occur.

I am not saying that Wiggins, AND Towns are not young players who often take bad shots, who sometimes force up shots, and who sometimes make bad deicisons. But then, what do you want instead? A Geogui Dieng 18 footer with 2 seconds on the shot clock instead? How about a Ricky Rubio I am not going to take the wide open shot and instead pass the ball to someone covered in the corner with 4 seconds left on the shot clock? God only knows how many of those happened every game Rubio played, and those are killing plays that few critcized him on because when you pass up a wide open shot for a contested shot even later in the clock, if forces a lot of bad shots (of course, in the handful of times the bad shot was made, Rubio got an "assist").

The Wolves offense in Wiggins' tenure in Minnesota has featured poor design, poor spacing, poor movement, and a considerable lack of skills.

Screw all of that. Wiggins is here and probably here to stay. He has solid skills if you use him right and motivate him. Figure this out because we are wasting significant talent in Towns and Wiggins.
User avatar
witljon
Posts: 27107
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by witljon »

mlhouse wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:03 pm
witljon wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:00 pm
mlhouse wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:51 pm

The Nets are interested. The issue isn't necessarily Russell, but they want two tier one free agents instead.
They are interested in D'Angelo? I thought Kyrie.
The Nets are very interested in bringing Russell back IF they can't sign a tier one free agent instead.
The Nets are gonna sign Kyrie.
Bring ya ass!
User avatar
flexbuffchest
Posts: 27091
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by flexbuffchest »

mlhouse wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:56 pm
Sally 2.0 wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:37 pm
t_wrex wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:04 pm

Come on man make a counterpoint.

The ability is there. I personally just think he's burned out and he's stuck mentally.

He reminds me right now of a guy from "fantasy island" where he was granted basketball superstardom but didn't realize what a hell it is getting scrutinized and isn't up to par with the intense thankless training. Maybe his wife is goin psycho on em too, adding to the shit factor.

Dude needs a smaller role, less minutes, a few words of encouragement and smarter training.
There is no counter to be made vs a guy saying Wiggins takes bad shots because someone has to.

NO. No one has to take midrange pull up fade-away with 13 left on the shot clock. Ever.

If someone is going to pretend like that’s not real then there’s no argument to be had, they aren’t watching the games or they’re blinded by their love for a player.
Players take midrange pull ups all the time. Watch some Jarrett Culver game. The problem with the Wolves offense over the years is that is what we had. We did not have shooters on the perimeter to kick the ball out to. We did not have spacing to open up more of the lane and cut down on help defense, so Wiggisn and Towns get cut off all the time. We ran an old fashion offense and a lot of inefficiency will occur.

I am not saying that Wiggins, AND Towns are not young players who often take bad shots, who sometimes force up shots, and who sometimes make bad deicisons. But then, what do you want instead? A Geogui Dieng 18 footer with 2 seconds on the shot clock instead? How about a Ricky Rubio I am not going to take the wide open shot and instead pass the ball to someone covered in the corner with 4 seconds left on the shot clock? God only knows how many of those happened every game Rubio played, and those are killing plays that few critcized him on because when you pass up a wide open shot for a contested shot even later in the clock, if forces a lot of bad shots (of course, in the handful of times the bad shot was made, Rubio got an "assist").

The Wolves offense in Wiggins' tenure in Minnesota has featured poor design, poor spacing, poor movement, and a considerable lack of skills.

Screw all of that. Wiggins is here and probably here to stay. He has solid skills if you use him right and motivate him. Figure this out because we are wasting significant talent in Towns and Wiggins.
If Towns can manage just fine then why can't Wiggins?
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
mlhouse
Posts: 32286
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by mlhouse »

witljon wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:03 pm
mlhouse wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:03 pm
witljon wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:00 pm
They are interested in D'Angelo? I thought Kyrie.
The Nets are very interested in bringing Russell back IF they can't sign a tier one free agent instead.
The Nets are gonna sign Kyrie.
That is the expected #1 target for them. But they can wait until they need to make a decision before they have to cut ties with Russell. Russell up until they lose out on Kyrie is a restricted free agent. From everything I heard, Russell would prefer to stay in Brooklyn but he will not stay forever either.
Dubs
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by Dubs »

Guys, we’re getting him, read the tea leaves:

He & KAT go way back
KAT goes to his first playoff game this spring
Pascucci is hired, bringing-over BRK’s player intel & upcoming plan
Prigioni is hired, one of DLo’s “guys”
KAT’s recent Instagram
Rosas letting the League know we have a path to him

Where there’s smoke there’s fire...
User avatar
digitalwolf
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by digitalwolf »

I don't know why anyone cares if the Lakers get a meeting with Dlo.....he would cost the entire remaining cap. So they would have a starting 5, and one bench player under contract. They would need at least four more guys....all would have to be min deals. It's laughable to even make that meeting knowing what they have to work with and how few guys they have on their roster.
User avatar
Mplsfonz
Posts: 7386
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by Mplsfonz »

RubeTube wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:53 pm
The Replacements wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:22 pm
Sally 2.0 wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:55 pm I'm not a DLo guy, but I am a KAT guy. If he makes KAT happy, do whatever to get him. If KAT doesn't actually care, then fuck em.
I think that sums up my feelings as well. I won't be upset if they don't get him. I believe it will cost too much to have him on the roster. I believe Rosas has something else in the works. Garland doesn't seem like a fit in Cleveland and Culver is not a great fit here. Could something still be in the works? I just get the feeling Culver will never play a game for the Twolves. Just a hunch.
Give them Culver and Okogie and make the swap.
No effin way do I give them a 2 for one.
Lets get real. Garland has already had knee issues, and played just 5 games in NCAA against crap teams.
I like his highlights, and can't say he is going to bust, but why are rubes always enamored with the guy they don't have?
Culver will be just fine, and maybe surprise the naysayers by being good.

Point is, lets covet our own guys, and support them.

Also, does anyone know when draft picks can be traded?
User avatar
Mplsfonz
Posts: 7386
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by Mplsfonz »

digitalwolf wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:42 am I don't know why anyone cares if the Lakers get a meeting with Dlo.....he would cost the entire remaining cap. So they would have a starting 5, and one bench player under contract. They would need at least four more guys....all would have to be min deals. It's laughable to even make that meeting knowing what they have to work with and how few guys they have on their roster.
I think they have to carry 12 right? I still get your point.
User avatar
minnemike
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member
Posts: 14181
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:10 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by minnemike »

Dubs wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:20 am Guys, we’re getting him, read the tea leaves:

He & KAT go way back
KAT goes to his first playoff game this spring
Pascucci is hired, bringing-over BRK’s player intel & upcoming plan
Prigioni is hired, one of DLo’s “guys”
KAT’s recent Instagram
Rosas letting the League know we have a path to him

Where there’s smoke there’s fire...
Yes! Get him!
User avatar
digitalwolf
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by digitalwolf »

Mplsfonz wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:10 am
digitalwolf wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:42 am I don't know why anyone cares if the Lakers get a meeting with Dlo.....he would cost the entire remaining cap. So they would have a starting 5, and one bench player under contract. They would need at least four more guys....all would have to be min deals. It's laughable to even make that meeting knowing what they have to work with and how few guys they have on their roster.
I think they have to carry 12 right? I still get your point.
12-15....who gives a shit, if they get Russell the essentially blow their entire cap space and that leaves them with 6 contracts. AD isn't going to drop his trade kicker, he has no reason to. LBJ won't be there when his five year deal is up....it's already his team. I have no doubt they'll find a few vet min guys, but they need a PG, they need shooting, and they need depth. 24 million doesn't buy all of the that.....and 24 million doesn't even afford Russell.
User avatar
T_J
Posts: 9720
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:53 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by T_J »

Mplsfonz wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 am
Rubetube wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:53 pm
The Replacements wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:22 pm

I think that sums up my feelings as well. I won't be upset if they don't get him. I believe it will cost too much to have him on the roster. I believe Rosas has something else in the works. Garland doesn't seem like a fit in Cleveland and Culver is not a great fit here. Could something still be in the works? I just get the feeling Culver will never play a game for the Twolves. Just a hunch.
Give them Culver and Okogie and make the swap.
No effin way do I give them a 2 for one.
Lets get real. Garland has already had knee issues, and played just 5 games in NCAA against crap teams.
I like his highlights, and can't say he is going to bust, but why are rubes always enamored with the guy they don't have?
Culver will be just fine, and maybe surprise the naysayers by being good.

Point is, lets covet our own guys, and support them.

Also, does anyone know when draft picks can be traded?
I think it's 30 days, so July 31st - ish.
jodaman01
#1 Tom Thibodeau Fan
Posts: 8870
Joined: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:06 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by jodaman01 »

T_J wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:04 am
Mplsfonz wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:05 am
Rubetube wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:53 pm

Give them Culver and Okogie and make the swap.
No effin way do I give them a 2 for one.
Lets get real. Garland has already had knee issues, and played just 5 games in NCAA against crap teams.
I like his highlights, and can't say he is going to bust, but why are rubes always enamored with the guy they don't have?
Culver will be just fine, and maybe surprise the naysayers by being good.

Point is, lets covet our own guys, and support them.

Also, does anyone know when draft picks can be traded?
I think it's 30 days, so July 31st - ish.
Don’t worry about when they can get traded.....the trades still happen. The teams and players agree to the deal in principle and complete it after the date they can officially trade the players.

It happened here before.....guess the players involved.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member
Posts: 18510
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:21 pm
Fine the Lakers for tampering now!
thinktank wrote: ↑Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member
Posts: 18510
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by HeHateMe »

Hoop Dreams wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:20 pm
Zach Lowe "the wolves are working on something, something big"

froobs "we aren't able to do anything"
thinktank wrote: ↑Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
User avatar
The Replacements
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:37 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by The Replacements »

Dubs wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:20 am Guys, we’re getting him, read the tea leaves:

He & KAT go way back
KAT goes to his first playoff game this spring
Pascucci is hired, bringing-over BRK’s player intel & upcoming plan
Prigioni is hired, one of DLo’s “guys”
KAT’s recent Instagram
Rosas letting the League know we have a path to him

Where there’s smoke there’s fire...
Unfortunately this isn't Field of Dreams. Too many things have to work out perfectly for this to happen. I would say the odds are 5-10% of Russell playing for us. I could see KAT playing in Brooklyn at a later date as more likely.
User avatar
Mplsfonz
Posts: 7386
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by Mplsfonz »

HeHateMe wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 am
Hoop Dreams wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:21 pm
Fine the Lakers for tampering now!
I though that too, but can't they start negotiating now?
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member
Posts: 18510
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by HeHateMe »

Mplsfonz wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 am
HeHateMe wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 am
Hoop Dreams wrote: ↑Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:21 pm
Fine the Lakers for tampering now!
I though that too, but can't they start negotiating now?
No, Sunday evening.
thinktank wrote: ↑Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
User avatar
flexbuffchest
Posts: 27091
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by flexbuffchest »

HeHateMe wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 am
Mplsfonz wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 am
HeHateMe wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:36 am

Fine the Lakers for tampering now!
I though that too, but can't they start negotiating now?
No, Sunday evening.
"officially"

Unofficially the entire offseason has already been worked out months ago :)
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
User avatar
Mplsfonz
Posts: 7386
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by Mplsfonz »

flexbuffchest wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:15 am
HeHateMe wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 am
Mplsfonz wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:42 am
I though that too, but can't they start negotiating now?
No, Sunday evening.
"officially"

Unofficially the entire offseason has already been worked out months ago :)
I hope they do get Russell. I really don't want to have to root for him here. It's personal for me. Hope he and KAT never share a hotel room. :?
Dubs
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:37 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by Dubs »

The Replacements wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:40 am
Dubs wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:20 am Guys, we’re getting him, read the tea leaves:

He & KAT go way back
KAT goes to his first playoff game this spring
Pascucci is hired, bringing-over BRK’s player intel & upcoming plan
Prigioni is hired, one of DLo’s “guys”
KAT’s recent Instagram
Rosas letting the League know we have a path to him

Where there’s smoke there’s fire...
Unfortunately this isn't Field of Dreams. Too many things have to work out perfectly for this to happen. I would say the odds are 5-10% of Russell playing for us. I could see KAT playing in Brooklyn at a later date as more likely.
I never said the path to space would be easy (re. my previous posts on our options)...
User avatar
jffl_commish
Posts: 28490
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by jffl_commish »

Doogie saying the Wolves are trying to get the Nets to do a sign and trade for Wiggins? Hell yeah! Get that lazy POS out of here!
Let's get Tropical
HeHateMe
KFAN Rube Chat Hall of Fame Member
Posts: 18510
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by HeHateMe »

jffl_commish wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:35 pm Doogie saying the Wolves are trying to get the Nets to do a sign and trade for Wiggins? Hell yeah! Get that lazy POS out of here!
He said they tried to engage them prior to the draft and it ain't happening.
thinktank wrote: ↑Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 am I’m a successful consultant for some of the biggest and best companies in the world. I tell you about systems architecture, not the other way around.
User avatar
jffl_commish
Posts: 28490
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by jffl_commish »

HeHateMe wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:39 pm
jffl_commish wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:35 pm Doogie saying the Wolves are trying to get the Nets to do a sign and trade for Wiggins? Hell yeah! Get that lazy POS out of here!
He said they tried to engage them prior to the draft and it ain't happening.
Damn you for crushing my dreams HHM! Can't blame the Nets for that though.
Let's get Tropical
User avatar
T_J
Posts: 9720
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:53 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by T_J »

Sounds like a classic doogie nugget.

Item that obviously didn't happen, "I checked on it, no interest."
OliverMiller
Posts: 2246
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:54 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by OliverMiller »

Lol there is no way that Nets Wiggins talk was serious at all.
User avatar
jffl_commish
Posts: 28490
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by jffl_commish »

That's basically the Nets taking Wiggins for free, assuming Russell ends up walking for nothing. So, Wiggins for free and a team has no interest. Mediocre player on an atrocious contact. Good job Glen.
Let's get Tropical
User avatar
Mplsfonz
Posts: 7386
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:49 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by Mplsfonz »

Do rubes really think DLo is the future at PG?

Don't give me that all star crap, he got in by default in a weak east conference.
What does he bring besides friendship to the team. I really want to know since I haven't seen him play much. His numbers look average to me.
User avatar
digitalwolf
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by digitalwolf »

Mplsfonz wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:31 pm Do rubes really think DLo is the future at PG?

Don't give me that all star crap, he got in by default in a weak east conference.
What does he bring besides friendship to the team. I really want to know since I haven't seen him play much. His numbers look average to me.
The AS format is for the entire league.....so it's not exactly nothing that he made it. Also, the East has some monster PG's in Kemba and Kyrie. Dlo is only 24.....and his numbers are clearly above average. 21 and 7 isn't average. He's a scoring guard that does share, and that style is a perfect compliment to KAT. Think of it like this.....we needed a scoring PG when we had Rubio. We got Teague, who is a moderately better scorer. Dlo is vastly better scorer than Teague. Is he supposed to be the future? I don't know, but offensively he's the best PG that has ever played under the Wolves jersey. (in his prime, for anyone sneaking Rose into that group).
User avatar
digitalwolf
Posts: 2740
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:20 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Rusell?

Post by digitalwolf »

jffl_commish wrote: ↑Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:57 pm That's basically the Nets taking Wiggins for free, assuming Russell ends up walking for nothing. So, Wiggins for free and a team has no interest. Mediocre player on an atrocious contact. Good job Glen.
I'm not saying Brooklyn actually likes Wiggins game....not at all, but despite this chatroom....some teams might actually be interested based off. We all might not love him because he's essentially a scorer with wasted tools, but that doesn't mean there aren't talent evaluaters and coaches that think maybe they know what's needed to take him to the next level.
Post Reply