Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Moderator: Sylvester Stallone

Post Reply
SO_MONEY
Posts: 7114
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by SO_MONEY »

Oriole81 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:58 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:43 pm
Oriole81 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:21 pm

I was just saying hypothetically first off, not that I'm on board.
But even if we did move one of those 3, again hypothetically, you would eventually find a replacement. If we got Russell, we wouldn't have to take a PG next year and could use that pick (presuming it doesn't go out in said Russell trade) on one of the top PF/C as there are a good amount of those as well.

You would also still be able to trade Wiggins and perhaps bring back a defensive PF, so that balances the roster too.
You should draft a PG next year even with Russell. Talent develops tatent and it s DEEP. If you get a top pick you might have an option, but it is weak at PF and we really don't need Center or SF.
I'd have no objection to them going PG next year, I agree talent does develop talent. However, I do think there will be plenty of options for front court still, which is what I was trying to convey with the previous statement.
Since the PG crop is so deep, it pushes down the front court talent and even a late lottery pick could get us a chance at one of Wiseman, McDaniels, Sylla, Achiuwa, or Stewart, which could all fit nicely next to Culver, RoCo, Towns if Okogie was the one to go out.

But if we're able to move Wiggins for a starting big, we could definitely still go PG bpa next year if that's how the board shapes up.

I wanted to mainly convey that there are still plenty of opportunities to balance out the roster.
The frontcourt is generally weak next year and an arrgument could be formulated that because of that lack of depth it pushes PGs up. The moral of the story...don't reach.
Oriole81
Posts: 38110
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by Oriole81 »

SO_MONEY wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:59 pm
Oriole81 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:58 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:43 pm

You should draft a PG next year even with Russell. Talent develops tatent and it s DEEP. If you get a top pick you might have an option, but it is weak at PF and we really don't need Center or SF.
I'd have no objection to them going PG next year, I agree talent does develop talent. However, I do think there will be plenty of options for front court still, which is what I was trying to convey with the previous statement.
Since the PG crop is so deep, it pushes down the front court talent and even a late lottery pick could get us a chance at one of Wiseman, McDaniels, Sylla, Achiuwa, or Stewart, which could all fit nicely next to Culver, RoCo, Towns if Okogie was the one to go out.

But if we're able to move Wiggins for a starting big, we could definitely still go PG bpa next year if that's how the board shapes up.

I wanted to mainly convey that there are still plenty of opportunities to balance out the roster.
The frontcourt is generally weak next year and an arrgument could be formulated that because of that lack of depth it pushes PGs up. The moral of the story...don't reach.
I fully admit that I don't know much about these guys yet, going fully off of real brief snippets, but here's the comps for all these guys that are still rumored in the Top 20, w/ many still having Top 10 grades.

Wiseman= AD lite
Stewart= Favors +
Achiuwa= Tobias Harris
Jalen Smith= PJ Brown +
McDaniels= Ingram
Sylla= Siakam

Any of those type of players could fit in very well with our team. I agree not to reach, but if we're in the late lottery for instance and there's already been 7 guards taken (which could be very reasonable), we could still be able to get the 2nd or 3rd rated big in the whole draft.

We're both on the same page though regarding taking the best player still.
2025 Froob NBA Draft

Billups, Lillard, Moncrief
Wade, Harden, Petrovic
Bird, George, Marion
Nowitzki, Barkley, Anthony
Russell, A Sabonis, Parish
SO_MONEY
Posts: 7114
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by SO_MONEY »

Oriole81 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:14 pm
SO_MONEY wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:59 pm
Oriole81 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:58 pm

I'd have no objection to them going PG next year, I agree talent does develop talent. However, I do think there will be plenty of options for front court still, which is what I was trying to convey with the previous statement.
Since the PG crop is so deep, it pushes down the front court talent and even a late lottery pick could get us a chance at one of Wiseman, McDaniels, Sylla, Achiuwa, or Stewart, which could all fit nicely next to Culver, RoCo, Towns if Okogie was the one to go out.

But if we're able to move Wiggins for a starting big, we could definitely still go PG bpa next year if that's how the board shapes up.

I wanted to mainly convey that there are still plenty of opportunities to balance out the roster.
The frontcourt is generally weak next year and an arrgument could be formulated that because of that lack of depth it pushes PGs up. The moral of the story...don't reach.
I fully admit that I don't know much about these guys yet, going fully off of real brief snippets, but here's the comps for all these guys that are still rumored in the Top 20, w/ many still having Top 10 grades.

Wiseman= AD lite
Stewart= Favors +
Achiuwa= Tobias Harris
Jalen Smith= PJ Brown +
McDaniels= Ingram
Sylla= Siakam

Any of those type of players could fit in very well with our team. I agree not to reach, but if we're in the late lottery for instance and there's already been 7 guards taken (which could be very reasonable), we could still be able to get the 2nd or 3rd rated big in the whole draft.

We're both on the same page though regarding taking the best player still.
Indeed.
D_H
Posts: 24780
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:13 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by D_H »

Shams Charania
✔
@ShamsCharania
Sources: Brooklyn has extended a qualifying offer to All-Star free agent D’Angelo Russell, making him a restricted free agent.

3,104
4:15 PM - Jun 28, 2019
User avatar
jffl_commish
Posts: 28490
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by jffl_commish »

Sign & trade for Wiggins in effect!
Let's get Tropical
D_H
Posts: 24780
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:13 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by D_H »

jffl_commish wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:39 pm Sign & trade for Wiggins in effect!

:lol:
User avatar
Beef Supreme
Posts: 92303
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 pm
Location: House of Representin'

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by Beef Supreme »

D_H wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:35 pm Shams Charania
✔
@ShamsCharania
Sources: Brooklyn has extended a qualifying offer to All-Star free agent D’Angelo Russell, making him a restricted free agent.

3,104
4:15 PM - Jun 28, 2019
I wonder if Rosas saw this when he envisioned the “path” to landing Russell.


Maybe he did and the plan was always to make a trade with the Nets for him. Who knows?

But this makes any kind of other move to clear cap space and then sign him less likely. Unless we max him and the Nets decide he’s not worth that much and let’s him walk. But I’d hate to dump players (maybe at a cost to us) and then have us lose out on Russell and end up holding the bag with nothing in it.
“‘Freedom’ is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.”

- George Orwell
User avatar
irishman89
Posts: 5647
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:34 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by irishman89 »

All we can do now is wait to see which team he signs the offer sheet with first, or wait until that cap hold is in their way.
mlhouse
Posts: 32286
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by mlhouse »

irishman89 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:05 pm All we can do now is wait to see which team he signs the offer sheet with first, or wait until that cap hold is in their way.
Or they rescind the offer once they have Irving or another FA signed.
D_H
Posts: 24780
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:13 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by D_H »

mlhouse wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:09 pm
irishman89 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:05 pm All we can do now is wait to see which team he signs the offer sheet with first, or wait until that cap hold is in their way.
Or they rescind the offer once they have Irving or another FA signed.
My guess is the Nets know they're not getting Kevin Durant. He can make the most money in Golden State. I bet he's staying in Golden State so they're going to sign Irving and Russell. Should be interesting as the NBA turns!! LoL
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by thinktank »

Beef Supreme wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:59 pm
D_H wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:35 pm Shams Charania
✔
@ShamsCharania
Sources: Brooklyn has extended a qualifying offer to All-Star free agent D’Angelo Russell, making him a restricted free agent.

3,104
4:15 PM - Jun 28, 2019
I wonder if Rosas saw this when he envisioned the “path” to landing Russell.


Maybe he did and the plan was always to make a trade with the Nets for him. Who knows?

But this makes any kind of other move to clear cap space and then sign him less likely. Unless we max him and the Nets decide he’s not worth that much and let’s him walk. But I’d hate to dump players (maybe at a cost to us) and then have us lose out on Russell and end up holding the bag with nothing in it.
The Nets are thinking the same thing.

I really don’t think this changes anything.

Russell’s gonna get paid.

The question is where.
mlhouse
Posts: 32286
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by mlhouse »

D_H wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:12 pm
mlhouse wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:09 pm
irishman89 wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:05 pm All we can do now is wait to see which team he signs the offer sheet with first, or wait until that cap hold is in their way.
Or they rescind the offer once they have Irving or another FA signed.
My guess is the Nets know they're not getting Kevin Durant. He can make the most money in Golden State. I bet he's staying in Golden State so they're going to sign Irving and Russell. Should be interesting as the NBA turns!! LoL
Maybe, although I think they might want Harris if they sign Irving.
thinktank
Posts: 29459
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:43 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by thinktank »

Yeah they’re not keeping both.

Neither can defend a lick.

But, what do I know?

I was only honorable mention all-conference.
User avatar
Decker23
#1 Andrew Wiggins Fan
Posts: 4232
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:56 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by Decker23 »

What if nothing happens as per usual?
"I wanna wear Nike's, not make them shits!" - Dave Chappelle
User avatar
LordNu
Posts: 11100
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:15 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by LordNu »

NotRasho wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:51 am
Moses Scurry wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:46 am
NotRasho wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:45 am Say no to Russell. He will cost way more than hes worth. Hes an inefficient volume scorer who got 19 shots a game to score 21 points on a mediocre eastern conference team. He doesnt even deserve to get Lavine money imo.
Welcome back from purgatory!
It feels treacherous. I got used to prison life, the outside world is scary.
Welcome Home! If I'd known you were going to be released today, I would have made a nice thread for you, with cake.
SO_MONEY
Posts: 7114
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 3:13 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by SO_MONEY »

thinktank wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:47 pm Yeah they’re not keeping both.

Neither can defend a lick.

But, what do I know?

I was only honorable mention all-conference.
Only honorable mention? I too went to the Assholes Living Life (A.L.L.) conference, my mention was dishonorable.
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***
Posts: 52150
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by RubeTube »

It's all coming to "A Head" boy's.

Won't be long know until WWRD (What Will Rosas Do)
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master

FUCK TRUMP!

FUCK ICE!
User avatar
Hornets
Posts: 65263
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:46 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by Hornets »

RubeTube wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:34 pm It's all coming to "A Head" boy's.

Won't be long know until WWRD (What Will Rosas Do)
What's your gut tellin ya RT? Will Rosas be able to get D-Ang here??
***THE REAL HORNETS HAS THOUSANDS OF POSTS and joined RC October 4, 2017!***
:naners: :naners: :naners:
RubeTube
***Official Gibby Award Winner - November 2018***
Posts: 52150
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:10 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by RubeTube »

Hornets wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:58 pm
Rubetube wrote: ↑Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:34 pm It's all coming to "A Head" boy's.

Won't be long know until WWRD (What Will Rosas Do)
What's your gut tellin ya RT? Will Rosas be able to get D-Ang here??
Either here or the Lakers. 50/50 Gus.
“We are nonviolent with people who are nonviolent with us.”
— Malcolm X

The Puppet Master

FUCK TRUMP!

FUCK ICE!
User avatar
YBBR
Posts: 39017
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by YBBR »

With how he's going were gonna have 5 damn players under contract in a week. Waive the whole damn team away.

It's pretty clear he wants to free up cap space to be a player in free agency. The road to DLo was built with waiving Cam Reynolds massive 1% piece of our cap.
"Come up off your smooth talk player, this raspy. You stuck on Morse code player, this ASCII."
User avatar
witljon
Posts: 27107
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by witljon »

The Nets extended D'Angelo Russell a qualifying offer which gives them the right to match any other teams offer.
What is that? How much did they offer? What if teams fill up their cap space and Russell gets no other offers?
Bring ya ass!
User avatar
flexbuffchest
Posts: 27091
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by flexbuffchest »

“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
User avatar
Beef Supreme
Posts: 92303
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 pm
Location: House of Representin'

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by Beef Supreme »

flexbuffchest wrote: ↑Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:18 am
If we could get Russell for under $20M, that would be great. I don’t believe it, but it would be great.
“‘Freedom’ is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.”

- George Orwell
OliverMiller
Posts: 2246
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:54 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by OliverMiller »

Beef Supreme wrote: ↑Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:17 am
flexbuffchest wrote: ↑Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:18 am
If we could get Russell for under $20M, that would be great. I don’t believe it, but it would be great.
If that's what other teams are offering that gives the Wolves a lot of room to be attractive
User avatar
The Replacements
Posts: 1846
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:37 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by The Replacements »

Not sure anyone really knows how Russell plays out right now. I think a few teams will pay much more than $20 million for him.
User avatar
Sid Hartman
Posts: 6366
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:29 pm
Location: Heaven

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by Sid Hartman »

RT @ChrisBHaynes: Minnesota Timberwolves to meet with Brooklyn Nets restricted free agent guard D’Angelo Russell at the start of free-agency, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
Zimmer1: seriously you were the sperm that won?
User avatar
flexbuffchest
Posts: 27091
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by flexbuffchest »

Sid Hartman wrote: ↑Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:19 pm RT @ChrisBHaynes: Minnesota Timberwolves to meet with Brooklyn Nets restricted free agent guard D’Angelo Russell at the start of free-agency, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
It's happening?
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
mlhouse
Posts: 32286
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:00 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by mlhouse »

The Replacements wrote: ↑Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:23 am Not sure anyone really knows how Russell plays out right now. I think a few teams will pay much more than $20 million for him.
MOre than likely. He is a NBA All-star player who is a free agent in an offseason were major teams have huge amounts of available cap.

Brooklyn, New York, LA Lakers, LA Clipper, Boston Celtics, Philadelphia, Dallas, and Chicago all have more than $20 million in "Practical" cap space this offseason. Someone is going to sign him for a significant contract.

I think the early meeting with the Wolves is great for us. While Russell is a restricted FA, if someone signs him to a offer sheet then their cap space is committed until they either match the offer or let the player walk. If they want to be a player in the market, they need to move on from Russell even if they want to wait.

But, the real problem for the Wolves is that to make an offer, you must have the cap room. You can't make the offer contingent on a sign and trade.
Last edited by mlhouse on Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
flexbuffchest
Posts: 27091
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by flexbuffchest »



Image
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
User avatar
flexbuffchest
Posts: 27091
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:08 pm

Re: Wolves in on D'Angelo Russell?

Post by flexbuffchest »



DLOADING
“We will protect the fanbase from Glen Taylor” -Alex Rodriguez.

Marc Lore - “I don’t care if that wrinkly old chicken roaster has a few more hairs on his head than I do, a deal is a deal.”
Post Reply