Note to guests/lurkers of this site. To continue reading content on some of our boards you will need to create an account.

Registration is free and easy, just remember your password and check back after your account has been approved by an administrator.

Please use the "contact us" link at the bottom of the page if you have any issues.

Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

A place to discuss the MN Timberwolves

Moderator: Sylvester Stallone

aztimberwolves
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by aztimberwolves »

Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 3:04 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 1:21 pm
Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 10:49 am

Fair assessment. I mostly agree, but I think if they don’t get someone with physicality down low that averages 6-7 boards, this team will be worse. Randle averaged 7 rebounds a game and Naz averaged 8.6 per 36. They were decent rebounding bigs. Naz was better than Randle for sure. That’s a lot of boards for Jaden and Lyle to make up for. I just think this team created a glaring hole to fill another. They’ll be exciting, but I see them in the 7-8 seed range.

Wolves chat will be bitching about them getting beat up on the boards constantly.
Randle and Naz were below average rebounders for their size. It wasn’t like they were Rodmans on the boards. Beringer will get more time as well.

I think for the slight decrease in rebounding we will see will get way more offset from our easier looks created by Ball.

Again PF in the NBA isn’t what it used to be. Most nights we will be fine. Long gone are the bruisers, low post players of the 80s and 90s
Who said they were Rodmans? You’re going to be complaining about their inability to rebound and I’ll point this argument out to you.
Some of the best rebounders in history Barkley and Rodman were 6’6 and 6’7. Just because we lost 2 below average rebounders doesn’t mean we will not be able to rebound this year with their replacement, quite the opposite actually.

You can point it out as much as you want as long as you’ll be around after ball has 10 plus assists in a game and sets up others for easy looks.
aztimberwolves
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by aztimberwolves »

Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 3:04 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 1:21 pm
Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 10:49 am

Fair assessment. I mostly agree, but I think if they don’t get someone with physicality down low that averages 6-7 boards, this team will be worse. Randle averaged 7 rebounds a game and Naz averaged 8.6 per 36. They were decent rebounding bigs. Naz was better than Randle for sure. That’s a lot of boards for Jaden and Lyle to make up for. I just think this team created a glaring hole to fill another. They’ll be exciting, but I see them in the 7-8 seed range.

Wolves chat will be bitching about them getting beat up on the boards constantly.
Randle and Naz were below average rebounders for their size. It wasn’t like they were Rodmans on the boards. Beringer will get more time as well.

I think for the slight decrease in rebounding we will see will get way more offset from our easier looks created by Ball.

Again PF in the NBA isn’t what it used to be. Most nights we will be fine. Long gone are the bruisers, low post players of the 80s and 90s
Who said they were Rodmans? You’re going to be complaining about their inability to rebound and I’ll point this argument out to you.
You can look at it this way. Naz got most of his rebounds at backup c. Something Beringer is more than capable of replacing. Now Randles 6 rebounds a game can easily be picked up by others. Nothing lost
User avatar
somuchyummy
Posts: 37470
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by somuchyummy »

My take.

Naz was a terrible rebounder early in his career. He got better.

Ju isn't a terrible rebounder. He came to us from the Knicks - where in his 5 seasons there, he was their best rebounder all five years - averaging 10 rpg. That's definitely pretty good. Why was he better there than he was here? Simple. He was tasked at being the main rebounder in NY because his teammates weren't up to it. Mitchell Robinson maybe - but he was injured half the time. Ju's rebounding numbers dipped a bit in his final two seasons because Josh Hart took on a bigger role and they added Isaiah Hartenstein. But then Ju comes here and who's his C teammate in the post? Rudy Gobert - one of the top rebounders in the league for his entire 13 year career. Ju no longer needed to be the man. But he's still a very capable top end rebounder. In his 12 seasons (actually 11 because of the game one injury his rookie year), he's been in the top 20 six times - and never has been worse than 54th (7.1). I bristle a bit when people say Julius Randle is a bad rebounder.
All Time Draft 2025

PG - Kidd, Iverson, D Johnson
SG - Reggie, Hill, Richmond
SF - Kawhi, Hawkins, Ellis
PF - Hakeem, Cowens, Perkins
C - Wilt, Alonzo, Thurmond

There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
aztimberwolves
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by aztimberwolves »

somuchyummy wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:00 pm My take.

Naz was a terrible rebounder early in his career. He got better.

Ju isn't a terrible rebounder. He came to us from the Knicks - where in his 5 seasons there, he was their best rebounder all five years - averaging 10 rpg. That's definitely pretty good. Why was he better there than he was here? Simple. He was tasked at being the main rebounder in NY because his teammates weren't up to it. Mitchell Robinson maybe - but he was injured half the time. Ju's rebounding numbers dipped a bit in his final two seasons because Josh Hart took on a bigger role and they added Isaiah Hartenstein. But then Ju comes here and who's his C teammate in the post? Rudy Gobert - one of the top rebounders in the league for his entire 13 year career. Ju no longer needed to be the man. But he's still a very capable top end rebounder. In his 12 seasons (actually 11 because of the game one injury his rookie year), he's been in the top 20 six times - and never has been worse than 54th (7.1). I bristle a bit when people say Julius Randle is a bad rebounder.
Fair point. But you have to compare apples to apples. We
Can get a great rebounder in here and he will struggle to get his average due to Rudy. This fear that we lost 2 bigs and now can’t rebound is silly when we still have the main person that gets
Most rebounds.
A$$MAN
Posts: 2521
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:31 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by A$$MAN »

aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:07 pm
somuchyummy wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:00 pm My take.

Naz was a terrible rebounder early in his career. He got better.

Ju isn't a terrible rebounder. He came to us from the Knicks - where in his 5 seasons there, he was their best rebounder all five years - averaging 10 rpg. That's definitely pretty good. Why was he better there than he was here? Simple. He was tasked at being the main rebounder in NY because his teammates weren't up to it. Mitchell Robinson maybe - but he was injured half the time. Ju's rebounding numbers dipped a bit in his final two seasons because Josh Hart took on a bigger role and they added Isaiah Hartenstein. But then Ju comes here and who's his C teammate in the post? Rudy Gobert - one of the top rebounders in the league for his entire 13 year career. Ju no longer needed to be the man. But he's still a very capable top end rebounder. In his 12 seasons (actually 11 because of the game one injury his rookie year), he's been in the top 20 six times - and never has been worse than 54th (7.1). I bristle a bit when people say Julius Randle is a bad rebounder.
Fair point. But you have to compare apples to apples. We
Can get a great rebounder in here and he will struggle to get his average due to Rudy. This fear that we lost 2 bigs and now can’t rebound is silly when we still have the main person that gets
Most rebounds.
At the end of the day, this team just needs to WANT to rebound. Height is only part of the equation since rebounding is all about effort, positioning, and anticipation. Like has been mentioned, lots of shorter (Barkley, Rodman) and less athletic (Love) guys have been monsters getting after rebounds. No reason why Ant, Jaden, Lamelo, TJ and Ayo shouldn't be able to pick up the slack.
User avatar
somuchyummy
Posts: 37470
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by somuchyummy »

aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:07 pm
somuchyummy wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:00 pm My take.

Naz was a terrible rebounder early in his career. He got better.

Ju isn't a terrible rebounder. He came to us from the Knicks - where in his 5 seasons there, he was their best rebounder all five years - averaging 10 rpg. That's definitely pretty good. Why was he better there than he was here? Simple. He was tasked at being the main rebounder in NY because his teammates weren't up to it. Mitchell Robinson maybe - but he was injured half the time. Ju's rebounding numbers dipped a bit in his final two seasons because Josh Hart took on a bigger role and they added Isaiah Hartenstein. But then Ju comes here and who's his C teammate in the post? Rudy Gobert - one of the top rebounders in the league for his entire 13 year career. Ju no longer needed to be the man. But he's still a very capable top end rebounder. In his 12 seasons (actually 11 because of the game one injury his rookie year), he's been in the top 20 six times - and never has been worse than 54th (7.1). I bristle a bit when people say Julius Randle is a bad rebounder.
Fair point. But you have to compare apples to apples. We
Can get a great rebounder in here and he will struggle to get his average due to Rudy. This fear that we lost 2 bigs and now can’t rebound is silly when we still have the main person that gets
Most rebounds.
that's pretty much the point i was making. I will say this though. I think having Rudy do that job - and so much of it - might make the others a little lazy. Like "Rudy will get it". And that can bite us at the end of games when rebounds come tougher and the opponent is leaping at everything - especially for second chance points. Rudy has a great rebounding radius - but it's mostly because he's huge - not because he is quick to everything. If it's not right there for the taking, we can lose possessions. He's absolutely not Rodman. And then, because the rest of the team is a conditioned to be a bit flat-footed, we get in trouble.
All Time Draft 2025

PG - Kidd, Iverson, D Johnson
SG - Reggie, Hill, Richmond
SF - Kawhi, Hawkins, Ellis
PF - Hakeem, Cowens, Perkins
C - Wilt, Alonzo, Thurmond

There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
aztimberwolves
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by aztimberwolves »

somuchyummy wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:07 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:07 pm
somuchyummy wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:00 pm My take.

Naz was a terrible rebounder early in his career. He got better.

Ju isn't a terrible rebounder. He came to us from the Knicks - where in his 5 seasons there, he was their best rebounder all five years - averaging 10 rpg. That's definitely pretty good. Why was he better there than he was here? Simple. He was tasked at being the main rebounder in NY because his teammates weren't up to it. Mitchell Robinson maybe - but he was injured half the time. Ju's rebounding numbers dipped a bit in his final two seasons because Josh Hart took on a bigger role and they added Isaiah Hartenstein. But then Ju comes here and who's his C teammate in the post? Rudy Gobert - one of the top rebounders in the league for his entire 13 year career. Ju no longer needed to be the man. But he's still a very capable top end rebounder. In his 12 seasons (actually 11 because of the game one injury his rookie year), he's been in the top 20 six times - and never has been worse than 54th (7.1). I bristle a bit when people say Julius Randle is a bad rebounder.
Fair point. But you have to compare apples to apples. We
Can get a great rebounder in here and he will struggle to get his average due to Rudy. This fear that we lost 2 bigs and now can’t rebound is silly when we still have the main person that gets
Most rebounds.
that's pretty much the point i was making. I will say this though. I think having Rudy do that job - and so much of it - might make the others a little lazy. Like "Rudy will get it". And that can bite us at the end of games when rebounds come tougher and the opponent is leaping at everything - especially for second chance points. Rudy has a great rebounding radius - but it's mostly because he's huge - not because he is quick to everything. If it's not right there for the taking, we can lose possessions. He's absolutely not Rodman. And then, because the rest of the team is a conditioned to be a bit flat-footed, we get in trouble.
Right and you could see that happen A LOT last year.

I just dont get why Small is so infatuated with the notion of we are going to be worse rebounding wise just because we lost 2 "big men". I have seen a lot of big men that were horrible rebounders. Naz was, but as you said he got to be an ok one. I think Beringer is more than enough to step into the rebounding role. And Randle's numbers were ok. Again, Rudy impacted, but nothing we cant replace.
aztimberwolves
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by aztimberwolves »

A$$MAN wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:48 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:07 pm
somuchyummy wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:00 pm My take.

Naz was a terrible rebounder early in his career. He got better.

Ju isn't a terrible rebounder. He came to us from the Knicks - where in his 5 seasons there, he was their best rebounder all five years - averaging 10 rpg. That's definitely pretty good. Why was he better there than he was here? Simple. He was tasked at being the main rebounder in NY because his teammates weren't up to it. Mitchell Robinson maybe - but he was injured half the time. Ju's rebounding numbers dipped a bit in his final two seasons because Josh Hart took on a bigger role and they added Isaiah Hartenstein. But then Ju comes here and who's his C teammate in the post? Rudy Gobert - one of the top rebounders in the league for his entire 13 year career. Ju no longer needed to be the man. But he's still a very capable top end rebounder. In his 12 seasons (actually 11 because of the game one injury his rookie year), he's been in the top 20 six times - and never has been worse than 54th (7.1). I bristle a bit when people say Julius Randle is a bad rebounder.
Fair point. But you have to compare apples to apples. We
Can get a great rebounder in here and he will struggle to get his average due to Rudy. This fear that we lost 2 bigs and now can’t rebound is silly when we still have the main person that gets
Most rebounds.
At the end of the day, this team just needs to WANT to rebound. Height is only part of the equation since rebounding is all about effort, positioning, and anticipation. Like has been mentioned, lots of shorter (Barkley, Rodman) and less athletic (Love) guys have been monsters getting after rebounds. No reason why Ant, Jaden, Lamelo, TJ and Ayo shouldn't be able to pick up the slack.
Spot on. I think we will be just fine. There are so many teams now without a "true" PF that utilizes smaller players in that role.

Like an old basketball coach of mine used to say, rebounding and defense is 50% technique and 50% effort.
User avatar
somuchyummy
Posts: 37470
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by somuchyummy »

For sure that. A lot of rebounding is just being determined to go get them. Russ Westbrook, love him or hate him, is a 6-4 PG who has averaged between 7.3 and 11.5 in eight of his seasons.
All Time Draft 2025

PG - Kidd, Iverson, D Johnson
SG - Reggie, Hill, Richmond
SF - Kawhi, Hawkins, Ellis
PF - Hakeem, Cowens, Perkins
C - Wilt, Alonzo, Thurmond

There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Small Hands
Posts: 10468
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by Small Hands »

aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:28 pm
A$$MAN wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:48 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:07 pm

Fair point. But you have to compare apples to apples. We
Can get a great rebounder in here and he will struggle to get his average due to Rudy. This fear that we lost 2 bigs and now can’t rebound is silly when we still have the main person that gets
Most rebounds.
At the end of the day, this team just needs to WANT to rebound. Height is only part of the equation since rebounding is all about effort, positioning, and anticipation. Like has been mentioned, lots of shorter (Barkley, Rodman) and less athletic (Love) guys have been monsters getting after rebounds. No reason why Ant, Jaden, Lamelo, TJ and Ayo shouldn't be able to pick up the slack.
Spot on. I think we will be just fine. There are so many teams now without a "true" PF that utilizes smaller players in that role.

Like an old basketball coach of mine used to say, rebounding and defense is 50% technique and 50% effort.
Lol none of our guys have shown a desire to do it and now they’re just going to flip a switch? Sorry dude… your conventional PF argument is useless too since Jaden is 30 lighter than the next smallish PF in the league. They’re gonna get beat up unless they get a guy in there with size. Also Barkley and Rodman were physically imposing. They were just short.

Edit: Rodman was only 215 lbs. There is your one example. I thought he was heavier.


I hope you’re right and I’m completely wrong. I’m probably right though :lol:
User avatar
weimy froob
Posts: 129083
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:10 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by weimy froob »

Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:55 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:28 pm
A$$MAN wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:48 pm

At the end of the day, this team just needs to WANT to rebound. Height is only part of the equation since rebounding is all about effort, positioning, and anticipation. Like has been mentioned, lots of shorter (Barkley, Rodman) and less athletic (Love) guys have been monsters getting after rebounds. No reason why Ant, Jaden, Lamelo, TJ and Ayo shouldn't be able to pick up the slack.
Spot on. I think we will be just fine. There are so many teams now without a "true" PF that utilizes smaller players in that role.

Like an old basketball coach of mine used to say, rebounding and defense is 50% technique and 50% effort.
Lol none of our guys have shown a desire to do it and now they’re just going to flip a switch? Sorry dude… your conventional PF argument is useless too since Jaden is 30 lighter than the next smallish PF in the league. They’re gonna get beat up unless they get a guy in there with size. Also Barkley and Rodman were physically imposing. They were just short.

Edit: Rodman was only 215 lbs. There is your one example. I thought he was heavier.


I hope you’re right and I’m completely wrong. I’m probably right though :lol:
well you were completely wrong with your take in the SA/OKC series, so there is that.
aztimberwolves
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by aztimberwolves »

Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:55 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:28 pm
A$$MAN wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 4:48 pm

At the end of the day, this team just needs to WANT to rebound. Height is only part of the equation since rebounding is all about effort, positioning, and anticipation. Like has been mentioned, lots of shorter (Barkley, Rodman) and less athletic (Love) guys have been monsters getting after rebounds. No reason why Ant, Jaden, Lamelo, TJ and Ayo shouldn't be able to pick up the slack.
Spot on. I think we will be just fine. There are so many teams now without a "true" PF that utilizes smaller players in that role.

Like an old basketball coach of mine used to say, rebounding and defense is 50% technique and 50% effort.
Lol none of our guys have shown a desire to do it and now they’re just going to flip a switch? Sorry dude… your conventional PF argument is useless too since Jaden is 30 lighter than the next smallish PF in the league. They’re gonna get beat up unless they get a guy in there with size. Also Barkley and Rodman were physically imposing. They were just short.

Edit: Rodman was only 215 lbs. There is your one example. I thought he was heavier.


I hope you’re right and I’m completely wrong. I’m probably right though :lol:
Name the PFs in the league right now that fits your physical specifications and primarily play low post???

I’ll save you time, the list isn’t very long. Most nights they will be fine. Some nights they will get beat up on the boards. But I’d rather see that than the constant inept PG play we saw on a nightly basis last year, especially in the playoffs when it was easily exploitable to beat us.

Speakign of which, the Spurs play Champaigne at PF and he’s
Not your tradional PF. How could they succeed without one?
aztimberwolves
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by aztimberwolves »

weimy froob wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 7:22 pm
Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:55 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:28 pm

Spot on. I think we will be just fine. There are so many teams now without a "true" PF that utilizes smaller players in that role.

Like an old basketball coach of mine used to say, rebounding and defense is 50% technique and 50% effort.
Lol none of our guys have shown a desire to do it and now they’re just going to flip a switch? Sorry dude… your conventional PF argument is useless too since Jaden is 30 lighter than the next smallish PF in the league. They’re gonna get beat up unless they get a guy in there with size. Also Barkley and Rodman were physically imposing. They were just short.

Edit: Rodman was only 215 lbs. There is your one example. I thought he was heavier.


I hope you’re right and I’m completely wrong. I’m probably right though :lol:
well you were completely wrong with your take in the SA/OKC series, so there is that.
I was completely wrong on the Finals. I thought spurs would kill them.

We all have our moments.
Small Hands
Posts: 10468
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by Small Hands »

aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 7:22 pm
Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:55 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:28 pm

Spot on. I think we will be just fine. There are so many teams now without a "true" PF that utilizes smaller players in that role.

Like an old basketball coach of mine used to say, rebounding and defense is 50% technique and 50% effort.
Lol none of our guys have shown a desire to do it and now they’re just going to flip a switch? Sorry dude… your conventional PF argument is useless too since Jaden is 30 lighter than the next smallish PF in the league. They’re gonna get beat up unless they get a guy in there with size. Also Barkley and Rodman were physically imposing. They were just short.

Edit: Rodman was only 215 lbs. There is your one example. I thought he was heavier.


I hope you’re right and I’m completely wrong. I’m probably right though :lol:
Name the PFs in the league right now that fits your physical specifications and primarily play low post???

I’ll save you time, the list isn’t very long. Most nights they will be fine. Some nights they will get beat up on the boards. But I’d rather see that than the constant inept PG play we saw on a nightly basis last year, especially in the playoffs when it was easily exploitable to beat us.

Speakign of which, the Spurs play Champaigne at PF and he’s
Not your tradional PF. How could they succeed without one?
Again… every other PF in the league has at least 30 lbs in ours. Let’s start there. Champene is 32 lbs heavier than Jaden.
aztimberwolves
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by aztimberwolves »

Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 7:58 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 7:22 pm
Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:55 pm

Lol none of our guys have shown a desire to do it and now they’re just going to flip a switch? Sorry dude… your conventional PF argument is useless too since Jaden is 30 lighter than the next smallish PF in the league. They’re gonna get beat up unless they get a guy in there with size. Also Barkley and Rodman were physically imposing. They were just short.

Edit: Rodman was only 215 lbs. There is your one example. I thought he was heavier.


I hope you’re right and I’m completely wrong. I’m probably right though :lol:
Name the PFs in the league right now that fits your physical specifications and primarily play low post???

I’ll save you time, the list isn’t very long. Most nights they will be fine. Some nights they will get beat up on the boards. But I’d rather see that than the constant inept PG play we saw on a nightly basis last year, especially in the playoffs when it was easily exploitable to beat us.

Speakign of which, the Spurs play Champaigne at PF and he’s
Not your tradional PF. How could they succeed without one?
Again… every other PF in the league has at least 30 lbs in ours. Let’s start there. Champene is 32 lbs heavier than Jaden.
Why is weight a factor?? Champagne is a perimeter player. Gordon is a perimeter player. I think you’re stuck in the 80s and 9s thinking these bruising PFs are still around.

So by your reasoning a 500 lb player should lead the league
In rebounding???
Small Hands
Posts: 10468
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by Small Hands »

aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 8:11 pm
Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 7:58 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 7:22 pm

Name the PFs in the league right now that fits your physical specifications and primarily play low post???

I’ll save you time, the list isn’t very long. Most nights they will be fine. Some nights they will get beat up on the boards. But I’d rather see that than the constant inept PG play we saw on a nightly basis last year, especially in the playoffs when it was easily exploitable to beat us.

Speakign of which, the Spurs play Champaigne at PF and he’s
Not your tradional PF. How could they succeed without one?
Again… every other PF in the league has at least 30 lbs in ours. Let’s start there. Champene is 32 lbs heavier than Jaden.
Why is weight a factor?? Champagne is a perimeter player. Gordon is a perimeter player. I think you’re stuck in the 80s and 9s thinking these bruising PFs are still around.

So by your reasoning a 500 lb player should lead the league
In rebounding???
No. I’m saying we are going to be the most undersized team in the league. I think that’s a problem. You don’t. We’ll see how it shakes out.
aztimberwolves
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by aztimberwolves »

Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 8:16 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 8:11 pm
Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 7:58 pm

Again… every other PF in the league has at least 30 lbs in ours. Let’s start there. Champene is 32 lbs heavier than Jaden.
Why is weight a factor?? Champagne is a perimeter player. Gordon is a perimeter player. I think you’re stuck in the 80s and 9s thinking these bruising PFs are still around.

So by your reasoning a 500 lb player should lead the league
In rebounding???
No. I’m saying we are going to be the most undersized team in the league. I think that’s a problem. You don’t. We’ll see how it shakes out.
I’m not a proponent of Jaden playing the 4, don’t get me wrong. But being “undersized” is not accurate. Gobert 7 2, Berigner 7 0 Ant 6 5 Ball 6 7 and Jaden at 6 9 isn’t “undersized”. Did you realize that Lamelo almost grabbed the same amount of rebounds as Naz did per game last year? Rebounding isn’t about size. It helps. But guys like Westbrook can be exceptional rebounders and not be your traditional
Low post players

I mean this as an honest question. Would you rather have run this same team back after getting beat like a drum the last 2
Years by teams that could double team Ant constantly or try something different?
User avatar
Beef Supreme
Posts: 92174
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:49 pm
Location: House of Representin'

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by Beef Supreme »

Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 8:16 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 8:11 pm
Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 7:58 pm

Again… every other PF in the league has at least 30 lbs in ours. Let’s start there. Champene is 32 lbs heavier than Jaden.
Why is weight a factor?? Champagne is a perimeter player. Gordon is a perimeter player. I think you’re stuck in the 80s and 9s thinking these bruising PFs are still around.

So by your reasoning a 500 lb player should lead the league
In rebounding???
No. I’m saying we are going to be the most undersized team in the league. I think that’s a problem. You don’t. We’ll see how it shakes out.
I think you're overstating the problem (which I agree is a problem) by a fair amount. I don't think it's going to bite us that often in the regular season. I think we'll hit a playoff matchup that will exploit this matchup issue at some point and that might be curtains for the season. But that's okay. This is a major reset of the core of this team. Not having it be a real title contender in year 1 is not a crime.
“‘Freedom’ is the freedom to say that two plus two make four.”

- George Orwell
aztimberwolves
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by aztimberwolves »

Beef Supreme wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 11:53 pm
Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 8:16 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 8:11 pm

Why is weight a factor?? Champagne is a perimeter player. Gordon is a perimeter player. I think you’re stuck in the 80s and 9s thinking these bruising PFs are still around.

So by your reasoning a 500 lb player should lead the league
In rebounding???
No. I’m saying we are going to be the most undersized team in the league. I think that’s a problem. You don’t. We’ll see how it shakes out.
I think you're overstating the problem (which I agree is a problem) by a fair amount. I don't think it's going to bite us that often in the regular season. I think we'll hit a playoff matchup that will exploit this matchup issue at some point and that might be curtains for the season. But that's okay. This is a major reset of the core of this team. Not having it be a real title contender in year 1 is not a crime.
But Beef we hit a playoff matchup the last 2 years that exploited our lack of ball handling. It was predictable and frustrating. We weren’t going to bypass the Spurs or Thunder with the current core or minor tweaks.
User avatar
witljon
Posts: 27107
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:57 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by witljon »

aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 7:22 pm
Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:55 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 6:28 pm

Spot on. I think we will be just fine. There are so many teams now without a "true" PF that utilizes smaller players in that role.

Like an old basketball coach of mine used to say, rebounding and defense is 50% technique and 50% effort.
Lol none of our guys have shown a desire to do it and now they’re just going to flip a switch? Sorry dude… your conventional PF argument is useless too since Jaden is 30 lighter than the next smallish PF in the league. They’re gonna get beat up unless they get a guy in there with size. Also Barkley and Rodman were physically imposing. They were just short.

Edit: Rodman was only 215 lbs. There is your one example. I thought he was heavier.


I hope you’re right and I’m completely wrong. I’m probably right though :lol:
Name the PFs in the league right now that fits your physical specifications and primarily play low post???

I’ll save you time, the list isn’t very long. Most nights they will be fine. Some nights they will get beat up on the boards. But I’d rather see that than the constant inept PG play we saw on a nightly basis last year, especially in the playoffs when it was easily exploitable to beat us.

Speakign of which, the Spurs play Champaigne at PF and he’s
Not your tradional PF. How could they succeed without one?
The Spurs could get away with Champagne in the front court because of Wemby.
Bring ya ass!
Small Hands
Posts: 10468
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by Small Hands »

Beef Supreme wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 11:53 pm
Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 8:16 pm
aztimberwolves wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 8:11 pm

Why is weight a factor?? Champagne is a perimeter player. Gordon is a perimeter player. I think you’re stuck in the 80s and 9s thinking these bruising PFs are still around.

So by your reasoning a 500 lb player should lead the league
In rebounding???
No. I’m saying we are going to be the most undersized team in the league. I think that’s a problem. You don’t. We’ll see how it shakes out.
I think you're overstating the problem (which I agree is a problem) by a fair amount. I don't think it's going to bite us that often in the regular season. I think we'll hit a playoff matchup that will exploit this matchup issue at some point and that might be curtains for the season. But that's okay. This is a major reset of the core of this team. Not having it be a real title contender in year 1 is not a crime.
I understand why they made the shakeup and I welcomed it. I think there were better options, but I understand their reasoning for the change. I am just pointing out that this team is probably going to be worse than last season and why. Folks in here are pushing back on it. It’s the new look Wolves. Should be entertaining. We should also be realistic about the weaknesses of the roster. No, we won’t be fine with Jaden as the primary PF. It won’t work. He’s 185 lbs for crying out loud and his super power is perimeter defense. Not helping protect the paint.

I agree with you on the playoffs. That’s where the good teams exploit weaknesses, and I think ours is more glaring than the previous few seasons.
User avatar
somuchyummy
Posts: 37470
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by somuchyummy »

You can't really just go with size as the criteria for rebounding. Jaren Jackson Jr - at 6-10 242 lbs with a 7-4 WS will clearly have us at a size disadvantage if we go with a smallish PF vs him. JJJ also has a career average of 5.6 rpg. Terrible on the glass. Ditto for the size advantage Santi Aldama will pose - 7-0 215 lbs 7-1 WS - and a career mark of 5.4 rpg. It's more how the player plays. Josh Hart - 6-5 215 6-8 WS will give us more trouble - career 7.0 rpg.
All Time Draft 2025

PG - Kidd, Iverson, D Johnson
SG - Reggie, Hill, Richmond
SF - Kawhi, Hawkins, Ellis
PF - Hakeem, Cowens, Perkins
C - Wilt, Alonzo, Thurmond

There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
User avatar
SHAFA
Posts: 15126
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:25 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by SHAFA »

I don't buy for a second that McDaniels is still 6'9, 185 either.
Oriole81
Posts: 38110
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by Oriole81 »

Considering using Westbrook as an example, I actually don't like him rebounding so much.
I think his team as a whole would be far better off having their front court guys be the rebounders, and then having Westbrook get back quick on offense.

I think that contributes to his teams plateauing in the playoffs.
But hey, having a bunch of empty triple doubles on his resume looks sexy, so what does he care?
2025 Froob NBA Draft

Billups, Lillard, Moncrief
Wade, Harden, Petrovic
Bird, George, Marion
Nowitzki, Barkley, Anthony
Russell, A Sabonis, Parish
Small Hands
Posts: 10468
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by Small Hands »

Oriole81 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 23, 2026 11:04 am Considering using Westbrook as an example, I actually don't like him rebounding so much.
I think his team as a whole would be far better off having their front court guys be the rebounders, and then having Westbrook get back quick on offense.

I think that contributes to his teams plateauing in the playoffs.
But hey, having a bunch of empty triple doubles on his resume looks sexy, so what does he care?
100%
twolves31
Posts: 2658
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:04 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by twolves31 »

Oriole81 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 23, 2026 11:04 am Considering using Westbrook as an example, I actually don't like him rebounding so much.
I think his team as a whole would be far better off having their front court guys be the rebounders, and then having Westbrook get back quick on offense.

I think that contributes to his teams plateauing in the playoffs.
But hey, having a bunch of empty triple doubles on his resume looks sexy, so what does he care?
It was the long rebounds by Ayo and Bones that often lead to fast breaks last year. Rebound the ball and you go. To Yum's point 6-5 Hart was the 2nd best rebounder for championship New York Knicks in the playoffs at 8.9 per game.
Small Hands
Posts: 10468
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:08 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by Small Hands »

twolves31 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 23, 2026 11:08 am
Oriole81 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 23, 2026 11:04 am Considering using Westbrook as an example, I actually don't like him rebounding so much.
I think his team as a whole would be far better off having their front court guys be the rebounders, and then having Westbrook get back quick on offense.

I think that contributes to his teams plateauing in the playoffs.
But hey, having a bunch of empty triple doubles on his resume looks sexy, so what does he care?
It was the long rebounds by Ayo and Bones that often lead to fast breaks last year. Rebound the ball and you go. To Yum's point 6-5 Hart was the 2nd best rebounder for championship New York Knicks in the playoffs at 8.9 per game.
Hart is a SG/SF. He out rebounded Robinson late because of his hand injury. Hart also is an elite rebounder for a G he has always had a knack for anticipation of ball trajectory. None of our wings are elite rebounders. He focuses on it. Why do we all of a sudden believe that these guys are just going to turn the switch on and focus their games on rebounding? Hart is also much more physical of a player than Jaden if you’re trying to prove a point on that front.
Oriole81
Posts: 38110
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:48 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by Oriole81 »

twolves31 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 23, 2026 11:08 am
Oriole81 wrote: ↑Thu Jul 23, 2026 11:04 am Considering using Westbrook as an example, I actually don't like him rebounding so much.
I think his team as a whole would be far better off having their front court guys be the rebounders, and then having Westbrook get back quick on offense.

I think that contributes to his teams plateauing in the playoffs.
But hey, having a bunch of empty triple doubles on his resume looks sexy, so what does he care?
It was the long rebounds by Ayo and Bones that often lead to fast breaks last year. Rebound the ball and you go. To Yum's point 6-5 Hart was the 2nd best rebounder for championship New York Knicks in the playoffs at 8.9 per game.
I don't think it's just been long rebounds for Westbrook. I think it's him consciously deciding to want to do that, and his teammates around him adapt because he's the guy.

If it was just long rebounds and go, then he should also have enough energy to be a great defensive player, yet he has never even made an all defensive team in the NBA.
And it's not like he's unwilling or incapable. Early on in his career at UCLA, he was the defensive ace backup guard behind Darren Collison.
Eventually when he got his chance to start, he was the Pac 10 Defensive Player of the Year.
So he's plenty capable of being a great defensive player.

All that went away though when he got to the pros.
I think he would have been a far more productive player, at least when it comes to playing team ball, if he focused more time on defense vs rebounding.
2025 Froob NBA Draft

Billups, Lillard, Moncrief
Wade, Harden, Petrovic
Bird, George, Marion
Nowitzki, Barkley, Anthony
Russell, A Sabonis, Parish
aztimberwolves
Posts: 3475
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by aztimberwolves »

Small Hands wrote: ↑Thu Jul 23, 2026 9:08 am
Beef Supreme wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 11:53 pm
Small Hands wrote: ↑Wed Jul 22, 2026 8:16 pm

No. I’m saying we are going to be the most undersized team in the league. I think that’s a problem. You don’t. We’ll see how it shakes out.
I think you're overstating the problem (which I agree is a problem) by a fair amount. I don't think it's going to bite us that often in the regular season. I think we'll hit a playoff matchup that will exploit this matchup issue at some point and that might be curtains for the season. But that's okay. This is a major reset of the core of this team. Not having it be a real title contender in year 1 is not a crime.
I understand why they made the shakeup and I welcomed it. I think there were better options, but I understand their reasoning for the change. I am just pointing out that this team is probably going to be worse than last season and why. Folks in here are pushing back on it. It’s the new look Wolves. Should be entertaining. We should also be realistic about the weaknesses of the roster. No, we won’t be fine with Jaden as the primary PF. It won’t work. He’s 185 lbs for crying out loud and his super power is perimeter defense. Not helping protect the paint.

I agree with you on the playoffs. That’s where the good teams exploit weaknesses, and I think ours is more glaring than the previous few seasons.
We still don’t know what the exact opening day roster will look like. There’s still moves that can be made even in September.

Im not an advocate of playing Jaden at 4 full time. For short stretches, yeah we can get away with it.

My problem is you automatically see Naz and Randle as these exceptional rebounders and defensive forces because of height and “size”. They were both pretty bad defenders and average rebounders. Easily replaceable in those categories in my opinion.

As far as the glaring weakness being more this year than past seasons???? Holy hell did you not watch the Spurs series and OKC series that last 2 years? Pretty glaring was the lack of PGs on the roster that could penetrate double teams and free up Edwards.

The past seasons those teams were built to beat Denver. Now that they are in steep decline and the threats are SA and OKC you have to adjust your roster accordingly to beat those guys.
User avatar
somuchyummy
Posts: 37470
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:14 pm

Re: Wolves acquire Lamelo Ball and Josh Green for Naz

Post by somuchyummy »

It will be interesting to see how LaMelo fares against OKC and SAS when he's paired with Ant. The record in the past three seasons vs OKC is really spotty, if for no other reason than that he was injured so often. Only one game to go on vs the Thunder in that stretch and it was a less than thrilling 16/2/2 line he put up that night. Versus the Spurs, he did better and played more often - 5 games - and averaged 22.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg and 8.0 apg.
All Time Draft 2025

PG - Kidd, Iverson, D Johnson
SG - Reggie, Hill, Richmond
SF - Kawhi, Hawkins, Ellis
PF - Hakeem, Cowens, Perkins
C - Wilt, Alonzo, Thurmond

There is little difference between the memory of a real event and the memory of a dream.
Post Reply